Let's Make Delicious Sushi Rice. The first step to cooking sushi rice is to give it a proper rinsing. There are two approaches to rinsing rice. One method is to place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and run cool water over it until the water runs clear.
You can eat this alone or roll into your favorite sushi roll with ingredients of choice. I use strips of carrots, cucumbers and slices of avocado. You can adjust the amount of vinegar in this recipe to suit your taste. You can cook Let's Make Delicious Sushi Rice using 5 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Let's Make Delicious Sushi Rice
- You need 540 ml of Uncooked white rice (3 rice cooker cups = 540 ml).
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Salt (natural salt).
- You need 5 tbsp of Vinegar.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Sugar.
- It’s 5 of to 10 cm square piece Kombu for dashi stock.
Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar. While the rice is cooking, heat the rice vinegar, sugar and sea salt together in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until the mixture nearly reaches a simmer. Heat vinegar, sugar, and sake or mirin in a saucepan just to dissolve and combine. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Let's Make Delicious Sushi Rice instructions
- [I made 5 rice cooker cups worth this time] Pour in a little less water than usual to cook the rice. Add the kombu and leave the rice to soak for at least 30 minutes..
- Add the salt to the rice cooker and mix lightly. Use the "sushi rice" setting (or if your rice cooker doesn't have one, just use the regular setting) to cook the rice..
- Mix the vinegar and sugar together. ※Microwave just before adding it to the rice to about 40-50°C, and mix well to dissolve the sugar..
- When the rice is cooked, take out the kombu and invert the rice cooker bowl to take out the rice into a plastic container or bowl. Swirl in the warm sushi vinegar from Step 3, and quickly mix it into the rice in a cutting motion..
- Cover the container or bowl with a lid and leave for 7 minutes to steam and let the rice absorb the flavors. If the bowl doesn't have a lid, use a pot lid or a cutting board to cover..
- Remove the lid, and mix the rice using a cut-and-fold motion while fanning it to cool it down. (This will make the rice glossy)..
- If you are making chirashi sushi, mix the ingredients in while the rice is still warm. If you're making sushi rolls, let the rice cool down to about body temperature first..
- I made Western style chirashi sushi this time: https://cookpad.com/en/recipes/188384-western-style-chirashi-sushi-a-popular-school-lunch-item. The additional ingredients are easy so you can make this sushi anytime you like..
- This is the big plastic container my mother uses, that has seen many years of service. I borrowed it from her this time I made 5 rice cooker cups' worth of rice this time. Normally I make less, so I just use a regular bowl to mix the rice..
Truly delicious seasoned rice is the perfect base for miso caramel-glazed salmon, especially with a few hard boiled eggs.. While the rice is resting in the covered pot, make the sugar and vinegar mixture. Cook: Place the rice in a strainer and rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Use your hands to be sure all the grains are rinsed well. Once the water begins to boil, cover the pot and reduce the heat to the very lowest setting.