🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh). Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Discover The Latest Outdoor Collection Now.
The tempeh is deep-fried or pan-fried and then cooked with a spicy, sweet, and slightly tangy sauce. This goes very well as side dish with nasi lemak /coconut milk. This sweet and. ️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh). You can cook 🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh) using 33 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of 🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh)
- You need of A) INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET FRIED TEMPEH (can also be eaten separately with salads as a protein topping).
- Prepare of For 2 -3 servings.
- You need of □ 1 packet of tempeh (200g), cut into size of Lego bricks approx 1.25"x 0.5".
- You need of □ ¼ tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s of □ ½ tsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare of □ ¾ tbsp of palm sugar or grated Gula Melaka.
- It’s of □ 1 calamansi lime.
- It’s of □ Salt.
- Prepare of □ Olive oil spray.
- Prepare of □ 2½ tbsp of virgin olive oil.
- You need of B) INGREDIENTS FOR SPICE PASTE OR 'THE REMPAH'.
- It’s of □ 3/4 cup of shallots, halved (about 8 -12 pcs).
- It’s of □ 4 -5 cloves of garlic, approx 2 tbsp.
- It’s of □ One finger of turmeric, 1.25" x 0.5” x 0.5”.
- It’s of □ 2 tbsp of galangal or two slices 2” x 1”.
- It’s of □ 2 stalks of lemongrass, the white part only, roughly chopped, approx. 3 tbsp.
- It’s of □ 2 slices of ginger, 1.5"x 1".
- You need of □ 1/4 tsp of limes zest.
- It’s of □ 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional).
- You need C. of INGREDIENTS TO COOK SAMBAL GORENG.
- You need of □ Rempah or Spice Paste (From B).
- You need of □ 2½ cups of long beans, 1.5" pieces, cut at an angle.
- Prepare of □ 150g or about 2 cups of white button mushroom, quartered.
- It’s of □ 2 red chilies, sliced bias cut and deseeded with a teaspoon.
- Prepare of □ 1/3 cup of Sambal Tumis (from previous recipe).
- You need of □ 1/2 cup of coconut milk + extra.
- It’s of □ 1 cup tamarind juice made from loosening 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp in water and strained.
- It’s of □ Juice of 2 calamansi limes, remove any seeds.
- Prepare of □ ½ tbsp of palm sugar or Gula Melaka + some extra to taste.
- You need of □ Pan-fried sweet tempeh (From A).
- You need of □ 1/3 cup of baked unsalted cashews.
- Prepare of □ Salt.
- You need of □ Oil.
See recipes for 🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh) too. It is a stew curry like Thai panang or red curry. The traditional ingredients are not vegetarian (except sometimes we use potato) such as chicken livers, gizzards, etc. Drain, heat in a wok the oil and fry the tempeh golden brown.
🌶️ Teddy's Indonesian Sambal Goreng (Spicy Coconut Curried Vegetables w Tempeh) instructions
- A. FRY UP TEMPEH 1. Bring a non-stick pan to medium – medium high heat. Add a light coat of oil and fry tempeh cubes with a fine dusting of salt until slightly charred or when 80 -85% of white in tempeh is no longer visible (about 10 to 15 mins) Note: Spray in more oil when it gets too dry and use a pair of tongs or chopsticks to regularly turn tempeh over to ensure even charring..
- 2. Set timer to 12 mins and cover with coriander, turmeric and another fine dusting of salt. Fry for 3 to 4 mins turning tempeh over for even coating. 3. Now add palm sugar on top. Note: if using moist or sticky palm sugar, separate clumps with fingers first and sprinkle evenly over tempeh in pan..
- 4. Squeeze in juice of lime. Toss and stir rapidly to distribute and coat sugar evenly across tempeh blocks. Fry for another 3 to 5 mins until almost all of the white is gone and the sugar has caramelized into dark glittery caramelized spots. A crisp charred ‘standalone’ tempeh is ready to be eaten as a snack, kept in fridge as protein for salads or made into Sambal Goreng as with this recipe..
- B. MAKE SPICE PASTE OR REMPAH 1. Blend all ingredients until a smooth paste. Add small amounts of water to ease the process. Reminder: Hardy root vegetables/ rhizomes like galangal should be cut into small pieces first before blending, so there are no long fibrous strands when eating..
- C. COOK SAMBAL GORENG 1. Bring a wok to medium high heat and add 3.5 tbsp of oil. 2. Fry spice paste until fragrant and cooked through, 5 to 12 mins. Normally we wait for the oil to break and float, but here (because of the healthier use of less oil) it’s enough when the spice paste turns clumpy, dry, aromatic and just before it burns to proceed with the next step..
- 3. Drop in the long beans, mushrooms and sliced chilies, spray in a small amount of oil and stir-fry with a ½ tsp of salt for 2 to 5 mins until sliced chilies slightly soften. 4. Then add the Sambal Tumis, coat well and fry for 2 to 3 mins until fragrant. 5. Now add tamarind water, lime juice, coconut milk and palm sugar. Cook on medium heat for 6 to 7 mins to allow veggies time to soften and cook through..
- 6. Add fried tempeh back into the mix with cashews, stir and reduce to a bubbling simmer for 5 mins. Slowly add salt to taste. 7. Cook until almost all the liquid evaporates or when a thick creamy gravy emerges coating the veggies. Adjust for taste further with 1 tbsp of coconut milk each time or some palm sugar to sweeten. 8.(Optional) Garnish with sliced red chilies before serving..
Sambal belacan or sambal terasi is one of the most popular Indonesian sambal that you can find in almost everywhere. The raw Sambal is made from fresh chilies, tomato, terasi (shrimp paste), and shallots. Sambal Belacan is perfect to be eaten with deep-fried fish, chicken, or duck and lalapan (assorted raw vegetables). Well, actually Sambal Belacan goes right with every fried food! • main course • spicy • Javanese Lamb Curry Gule Kambing • main course • spicy • Spicy Ribs with Sweet Soy Sauce