Rouladen. Great Range for Kitchen & Home Online. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Rouladen are made by spreading some German mustard on thinly cut slices of beef, adding bacon, sliced German pickles and chopped onions.
They're then removed and set aside so you can saute the onions. A traditional dish from Germany of stuffed and rolled Beef or Pork. Rouladen or Rinderrouladen (plural, singlular Roulade) are a German meat dish, usually consisting of bacon, onions, mustard and pickles wrapped in thinly sliced beef which is then cooked. You can have Rouladen using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Rouladen
- It’s 2 lb of Chuck Beef thin cut -or- Top Round Steak Tenderized Thin.
- You need 4 tbsp of salt.
- You need 4 tbsp of black pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 8 tbsp of Mustard (Prepared).
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 8 slice of bacon.
- You need 8 slice of dell pickles.
- Prepare 10 oz of beef gravey.
The dish is considered traditional also in the Upper Silesia region of Poland where it is known as rolada śląska (Silesian roulade) and in the Czech Republic where it is known as španělský ptáček. Rouladen recipes can be different depending on the area of Germany you're from. The part of Germany my parents grew up uses cube steak in lieu of flank and no pickles. We also use beef broth instead of water and add chopped fresh garlic with the onion.
Rouladen step by step
- Pound thin (Tenderize) the steaks or if you purchased already Thin cut Chuck, lay out meat on a prep tray or sheet for seasoning..
- Salt, Pepper, nutmeg the steaks on both sides evenly. Spread mustard spread on both sides of the steaks..
- line steaks with half the chopped onion and bacon..
- line with pickle spears or slices..
- add other half of onions and bacon to deep sauce pan..
- roll steaks up. pin if necessary..
- Add steaks to sauce pan. fill sauce pan with more water accordingly to get water to almost fully cover steaks..
- medium to low heat cook covered steaks for 45 to 120 minutes depending on thickness of steaks. Water will become thicker..
- remove steaks and plate..
- make beef gravey. pour on top of steaks and serve..
Remember to thicken your gravy if necessary. It's always nice trying different variations to recipes. German rouladen is made with thin slices of beef. Browned, then braised, this delicacy makes use of inexpensive cuts of beef and transforms them into a favorite German meal. The sauce can be very simple (beef broth) or more complex with vegetables and cream.