Indian Red lentil soup with Garam Masala. Heat the vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, red lentils, ginger and salt to the pot. This soup is deeply flavorful, thanks to generous amounts of garam masala, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, and turmeric.
Once soaked, drain the water and wash the. This step is called tadka in. Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the chilies, garlic and ginger. You can cook Indian Red lentil soup with Garam Masala using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indian Red lentil soup with Garam Masala
- You need 150 grams of dried red lentils (cooking time about 20min).
- It’s 750 ml of chicken stock.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 400 grams of ripe tomatoes (can).
- Prepare 1/4 bunch of or fresh parsley.
- You need 1-2 centimeter of fresh ginger root.
- It’s 100-150 milliliter of coconut milk.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of garam masala indian spicemix (see also my recipe).
- It’s of some fresh ground pepper and sea salt.
- Prepare of optional:.
- It’s 1 of small red chili pepper if you like it more hot.
Add the turmeric, chili powder, asafoetida, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, cinnamon and cloves and stir to combine. Stir lemon juice into soup and garnish with feta cheese. Red lentils are easy to find, and should be stocked at most grocery stores. This lentil dish is seasoned with a either garam masala or tandoori masala- two Indian spice mixtures which should also be fairly easy to find.
Indian Red lentil soup with Garam Masala instructions
- Wash the red lentils and put aside.
- Peel the onion and garlic, chop fine and put aside.
- If you want to use the chili pepper wash it then cut it open and remove the seeds and cut fine and put aside.
- Peel the skin from the ginger root, grate it and put aside.
- Cut the peeled tomatoes into cubes and put aside with juice.
- Put a 2 liter soup pan on medium heat with some olive oil, add the onion, garlic and optional the red chili pepper and fry slowly untill the onion is soft and looks glassy.
- Now add the grated ginger root, the garam masala and cumin and slowly fry for another minute or to release all the flavours.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock and red lentils and bring to boil.
- Let boil for about 20 min then blend smooth with an electrical hand blender, add the coconut milk and boil another minute.
- Add pepper and salt to taste and garnish with some parsley.
I buy mine at Whole Foods or Kroger, but you can also buy garam masala online. Making Red Lentil Dal View top rated Indian lentil soup with garam masala recipes with ratings and reviews. Hot Apple Toddy with Garam Masala, Lentil Soup With A Curry Crema And Lentil Crackers, Basmati… The world's largest kitchen Add red lentils, beets, ginger, water and tomatoes. Add all of the spices except for the garam masala, stir, then add the lentils and water and mix well. Stir in the garam masala and serve.