Borsch. Browse best-sellers, new releases, editor picks and the best deals in books Peel and roughly chop the vegetables. Place in a large pan with the bay leaf and caraway seeds. Meanwhile, heat the sunflower oil in a large, deep frying pan.
Borsch is the famous soup in many Russian families, as well as many Eastern and Central European countries. The recipes of borsch vary, but vegetables (mainly beet) and sour cream are always the main ingredients. The beetroot used in cooking borsch gives the soup its trademark deep reddish-purple color. You can cook Borsch using 20 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Borsch
- You need 3-4 lbs of Beef Roast (Bone or Chuck).
- It’s 2 1/2 qts of Water (boiling).
- You need 1/2 c of Dry Lima Beans (large).
- It’s 2 of Potatoes (small, whole and peeled).
- Prepare 2 of Bay Leaves (whole).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Pepper.
- You need 1/2 c of Carrots (diced).
- You need 1 c of Celery (dices).
- It’s 1 of Onion (medium, chopped).
- You need 1 c of Frozen Mixed Vegetables.
- Prepare 1 Can of Tomato Sauce (small).
- You need 16 oz of Can Tomatoes (approximately 1 lb).
- Prepare 1/2 c of Bell Pepper (chopped).
- You need 2 c of Cabbage (chopped).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Parsley, (chopped).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Dill Weed.
- Prepare 1 of Yellow Chili (optional).
- You need 1 Tbsp of Sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of M.S.G.
Borscht definition: a beet-based soup that can be combined with whatever else you've got growing in your garden to create a hearty, healthy meal that also stretches your food budget and weekly meals just a little bit further. Borscht makes the perfect winter warmer, and is healthy to boot. Serve with a little soured cream and chopped dill for a magnificent starter. Borscht should be a hearty, yet sophisticated dish: a bowlful of sweet, sour and savoury flavours, rather than simply a vehicle for beetroot.
Borsch step by step
- Wash beef in a colander. Bring water to boil in a pot. Add beef, lima beans, and potatoes and bring to boil. Add salt and pepper and simmer for approximately 2 hours until the meat is tender..
- Remove meat and add carrots, celery, onions, and mixed vegetables. Cook 15 minutes..
- Break up tomatoes by hand and add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes longer..
- Remove potatoes and mash, then return to the soup..
- Remove the bay leaf and chili..
- Before serving, take the roast that was cooked in the soup and cut it up into 1 1/2" squares and place into a casserole dish one layer deep. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a 375 degree oven until browned. Serve meat on the side with mustard or horse radish. Eat with the soup and bread..
It takes a bit of work – but with a dollop of rich sour. We all eat it, we all love it, yet we simply can't imagine that any other country owns the rights to it. It has its origin in a hogweed soup commonly consumed by the Slavs from the fifteenth or sixteenth century in territories occupied today by Poland, Ukraine and Russia. Borsch (борщ in Cyrillic) is a hearty soup, usually coloured red from beetroot (though green and white varieties of the soup exist), and for centuries, it has been a daily staple in the Ukrainian. Boasting one of the most comprehensive glove ranges on the market and complimenting this with several thousand own brand and brand leading products to ensure you have everything you need.