Greek style rice pudding. Greek rice pudding is simple, comforting, and delicious. Some people in Greece make it with eggs, but my aunt prefers without. Best enjoyed cold – if you can wait that long!
In Greece we make it using milk, sugar, short grain (white) rice, some cornstarch to thicken it, lemon peel & vanilla for flavoring, and ground cinnamon on top. No eggs in this rice pudding recipe. Greek rice pudding is a thick and creamy treat. You can have Greek style rice pudding using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Greek style rice pudding
- It’s 1.5 cups of Italian style rice.
- It’s 1-2 cups of water.
- You need 1.5 litres of milk.
- You need 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar or to your liking.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 2 of cinnamon sticks.
- It’s of Ground cinnamon for topping.
It gets its name, rizogalo, from its two main ingredients—rice (rizi) and milk (gala). The sweet pudding shows its Greek roots with a hint of citrus thanks to the piece of lemon rind added when cooking the rice. Place milk, sugar and lemon peel (just the peel – none of the pith) in a heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar melts.
Greek style rice pudding step by step
- Firs wash the rice vigorously in a strainer.
- Now add the water in a pot and add water till it covers the rice about one inch above and boil at low heat till the water is almost evaporated from the pot.
- In another bigger pot add the milk and bring it to a boil at medium low heat.
- Now that the water is starting to boil add the rice,cinnamon sticks,vanilla and sugar make sure the rice goes in with the left over water it will help so the milk will not rise.
- Cook at low closer to medium heat stirring constantly so the rice doesn’t stick for close to 45 min you will notice the starch will start making the pudding thicker.
- Now it’s ready poor it in small bowls and enjoy.
Reduce heat to low and add the rice. How To Make Greek Rice Pudding In a large saucepan, combine rice and water. DIRECTIONS In a saucepan, combine rice & water. Arborio rice – after many experiments over the years and adjusting the recipe – I think arborio rice is the best choice to make Greek rice pudding. It holds its shape well and doesn't turn into mush.