New York Style Pizza Sauce. The crust of New York-style pizza is typically made from high-gluten bread flour. Typical condiments include dried oregano, dried basil, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and dried red chili pepper flakes. DIRECTIONS In a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, olive oil, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic, and salt.
Remove the basil stems from the sauce, and season the sauce with more salt if needed. Combine butter and oil in medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. You can have New York Style Pizza Sauce using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of New York Style Pizza Sauce
- Prepare 1 of 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It’s 1 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 medium of cloves garlic, about 2 teaspoons, grated.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 1 pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1 of kosher salt.
- Prepare 2 of sprigs fresh basil with leaves attached.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
Add the tomatoes, basil stems, onion powder and sugar to the saucepan. Remove the basil stems from the sauce, and season the sauce with more salt if needed. This sauce is perfect for pizza, calzones, pasta, or for a dipping sauce. Add different herbs for a twist on this recipe.
New York Style Pizza Sauce instructions
- Process tomatoes and the juice in food processor until pureed, or with hand blender. Should be smooth, set aside..
- Combine butter and oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes..
- Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about an hour. Remove onion and basil, discard..
- Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks..
This would be delicious on a margherita pizza, pineapple and ham pizza (however controversial this might be), roasted red peppers and sausage pizza, supreme pizza-you name it. This sauce is so versatile and so simple. Combine butter and oil in medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. The Best New York-Style Pizza Sauce Recipe.