Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings. Place chicken into a large pot and add water to just cover. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the milk, egg and oil. Stir quickly to make the batter.
Place the chicken, carrots, celery and onion in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add water, vinegar and salt (adding more water, if necessary, to cover chicken). Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat nearly falls from the bones. You can cook Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings
- You need 1 of 3-6 lb whole chicken.
- It’s 2 quart of water.
- You need 2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of course black pepper.
- It’s 2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of shortening.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
In a large stock pot over medium heat add in the butter and oil. When the butter starts to foam, add in the carrots, celery and onion. Place the chicken breast in the chicken broth and cook the chicken. While the chicken is cooking make the dumplings dough.
Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings instructions
- Add water and 2 tsp salt to dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Add whole chicken and boil at medium heat for one hour.
- Take chicken out of dutch oven to cool then debone (should be falling off the bone).
- Mix flour, baking soda, 1\2 tsp salt, shortening, and buttermilk. Knead 4 times.
- Roll out dough 1\4 inch thick and cut into squares (or pinch off pieces the size of quarters).
- Add dumplings one at a time to remaining boiling water one at a time and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add deboned chicken and pepper and simmer for 15 more minutes….
Mix all of the dough ingredients together and roll into balls. Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, shred it and add back into the broth. While chicken is coming to a boil, make the dumplings. In a large bowl, using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening and salt into the cup of flour, until shortening is the size of small peas. While the chicken and broth are cooking, make the dumplings.