Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf. Browse The B&Q Painting Range Today. From the restaurant to your doorstep. Favourite restaurants in your area, ready to take your order.
You can find banana leaves at your local asian grocery store. Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf. The Chinese zongzi — sticky rice wrapped in leaves then steamed — has many variations all over Asia. You can cook Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf using 20 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf
- Prepare 4 of chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into small 1/4" chunks.
- You need 1 of chicken breast, skinless, cut into 1/4" chunks.
- It’s of Marinade.
- It’s 3 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- It’s 2 of shallots, sliced thin.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sake.
- You need 1 tbsp of chili-garlic sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of chinese five spice.
- You need 1/4 tsp of fish sauce.
- You need 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ginger paste or minced ginger.
- You need 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of corn starch.
- Prepare 2 cups of thai sticky rice (see description for notes).
- You need 200 g of shiitake mushrooms, destemmed and sliced thin.
- You need 3 tbsp of sesame oil.
- You need 3 tbsp of peanut oil (or other frying oil).
- Prepare 3 of large banana leaves.
- It’s of bamboo skewerd.
Some are savory while others are sweet. Although bamboo leaves are traditionally used for zongzi, elsewhere in Asia, other leaves like lotus and banana are used. Bring out the prepared sticky rice. You can wrap a whole meal in these leaves and reheat for later.
Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf instructions
- Combine chicken, shallots and marinade ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for one hour up to 4 hours..
- Put rice in a large bowl and submerge fully in water. Let soak for at least one hour up to 3..
- After at least an hour of soaking, drain the water from the rice and add 2 cups fresh water and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to barely maintain a simmer. Cover the rice and cook for 20 minutes..
- Put 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and peanut oil each in a wok over medium high heat. When the oil starts to smoke add half of the mushrooms. Cook until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Then do the other half of the mushrooms..
- Reduce heat to medium and add another 1/2 tsp of each of the oils and add 1/3 of chicken mix. Cook until golden brown..
- We are cooking in batches as to not crowd the pan. So you'll repeat thos twice more with thw remaining chicken. When the pan gets dry add a couple tablespoons of sake rather than oil..
- Combine the stir fried chicken and mushrooms. Toss and set aside..
- While you're waiting for the rice to finish prepare your banana leaves. Cut 4 sheets about 18 inches long and another four sheets about 10 inches long..
- After 20 minutes test the rice for doneness by scooping out a small hole in the middle. If all the water is done you're good to go. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature..
- Place one long sheet and one short sheet of leaf down on a flat surafce perpendicular to each other..
- Take a handful of rice and pat it down into a circular base. You're looking for about 1/4 inch thick and 8 inches in diameter..
- Spoon the chicken mix onto the rice. Leave about 1/4 inch around the perimeter of the rice uncovered..
- Take another handful and cover the chicken, making a dome..
- Fold the sides of the banana leaves in lengrhwise..
- Bring in the top of the leaf as of you were folding a present. Secure by weaving the skewere through the layers of leaves. Break off the excess..
- Repeat with the bottom..
- Finish the other 3 dumplings. You can now refrigerate these for up to four days, or go straight to heating if you're ready to eat..
- Heat the banana leaves over low heat on a grill. About 10 minutes each side. Alternatively you can put the leaves in an oven at 325F for 20 minutes..
You can find banana leaves at your local asian grocery store. Here is how you cook it. Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf. Here is how you cook that. Ingredients of Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf.