Yankee Pot Roast. Deals Everyday for Your Kitchen and Home. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Check Out Great Products On eBay.
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside. You can have Yankee Pot Roast using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Yankee Pot Roast
- You need 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 of chuck roast (2-3 lbs.).
- Prepare Dash of salt and black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp. of paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp. of thyme.
- You need 2 cups of beef broth.
- You need 1 cup of red wine.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 sprig of rosemary.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, cut into wedges (8 pieces).
- Prepare 1 lb. of medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 2 of celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 can (6 oz.) of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of clove (grated or powdered).
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of allspice (ground or powdered).
- You need 1/4 cup of Marsala wine (optional).
- Prepare 1 of red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 8 oz. of large mushrooms, halved or quartered.
Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining olive oil. A variety of vegetables add flavor to this great-tasting Yankee pot roast. The pot roast is slowly simmered to perfection with potatoes, carrots, and diced rutabaga. It's a classic meal you can enjoy any time of the year.
Yankee Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven 325˚..
- Heat a large pot or heavy skillet over medium-high heat with cooking oil. Season the roast with the dried herbs and then sear the meat in the hot oiled pan for 5 minutes per side.
- Place the meat in a heavy Dutch-oven pot and add the broth, wine, and the bay leaf. Add all the onions and a small sampling of carrots and celery. [The main vegetables will be added in later].
- Cover the pot and place in a heated oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes..
- Remove the pot from the oven and drain off about 2 cups of the pot juices into a small / medium sized pot. Add the tomato paste to the juices, stir occasionally, and heat until a slight boil..
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. [The gravy will begin to thicken a bit] Season with salt and pepper, including some clove and ground allspice. Add the Marsala wine to taste..
- Discard the cooked carrots and celery from the large pot and add in new ones along with the bell pepper and mushrooms and the “new” gravy..
- Carefully flip the roast over and place the pot back in the oven, uncovered, and continue to cook for another 1 hour and 20 minutes..
- The pot roast is done when the vegetables (carrots & celery) are soft to the bite. Serve with mashed potatoes or wide flat noodles..
The red wine adds flavor to the liquids, but you may decrease the amount of wine or leave it out altogether. Directions In a large, heavy flameproof casserole, preferably cast iron, over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions until golden. Thoroughly dredge the beef in the flour, covering. Yankee pot roast is a dish that originated in the United States but is based off a European cooking technique called braising. The dish is centered on a piece of beef, usually a tougher cut, that is first seared in a deep pan, then simmered in a stock or its own juices, or both.