"Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe. Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, then add the onion, bell pepper, garlic,. In Spanish, 'Ropa vieja' literally means "old clothes". The name describes the shreds of meat and vegetables which resemble colorful strips of rags.
Cut in half or thirds (across the grain) if needed to fit into. Heat the olive oil in a medium Dutch oven or a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Instructions Pat the beef dry and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. You can cook "Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of "Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe
- You need 2 lb of beef flank steak (pre-cooked in the stew or soup).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 clove of garlic.
- You need 1 of onion, sliced.
- It’s 1 of green belt pepper, seeded and slice into strips.
- It’s 1 can of tomato paste.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 of bay leave.
- You need 1 cup of white dry wine.
Heat a little oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Once very hot add the beef and brown generously on all sides. Place the steak into a large stockpot and add water to cover the steak completely. Add the quartered onion, smashed garlic, chopped celery, and salt.
"Ropa vieja" Cuban recipe instructions
- Separate the meat into thin shreads or strands.
- Crush the garlic cloves and saute in the hot oil with the onion..
- add the green pepper and saute a little bit together..
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let it cooked in slow temperature, stirring ocasionally. for about 15 or 20 minutes..
- To serve with white rice and a good fresh salad..
Remove meat from heat and reserve broth. Once meat has cooled down, shred and reserve. If you allow any left overs to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. Can I freeze Cuban Beef (Ropa Vieja)? This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following; Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.