Malay Chicken Korma. Chicken Korma (Chicken in Rich Yogurt Curry) is a milder form of curry and is distinguished from other curries by its rich gravy and smooth texture, mainly because of its heavy incorporation of yogurt as part of its main ingredients. This Malay recipe is rich with cashew nuts and coconut but still has the same mild and sweet This is a fantastic chicken korma utilising our Malaysian curry powder, not a terribly hot dish but the late addition of a couple of red chillies brings some heat. You'll notice there are no almonds in this curry, it is not a recipe you would find down the local takeaway, and for that it is a triumph.
Korma means braising and yes, curry, korma and gulai are all in the same family. Malay Chicken Korma step by step. When ready, heat the cooking oil in a wok on high heat. You can have Malay Chicken Korma using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Malay Chicken Korma
- You need 350 g of Chicken Meat (skinless, boneless).
- It’s of Kurma Powder recipe;.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Cumin Powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of Coriander Powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Fennel Powder.
- You need 2 tsp of White Pepper.
- It’s of The 4 Sekawan Spice Mix (See Note).
- Prepare 1 stick of Cinnamon.
- It’s 2 pc of Star Anise.
- You need 3 pods of Cardamom.
- You need 4 pc of Cloves.
- It’s of Other Ingredients;.
- You need 1 pc of Nutmeg (pounded) or 1-2 pinches of nutmeg powder.
- It’s 2 pc of Candle Nuts (pounded).
- You need 1 cup of Coconut Milk.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Palm Sugar.
- You need 40 g (4 cloves) of Shallots.
- You need 20 g (3 cloves) of Garlic.
- You need 20 g (1.5 cm) of Ginger.
- Prepare 1 pc of Lime (juice squeezed).
- Prepare 3 pc of Green Chillies (sliced).
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt (marinade).
- You need as needed of Salt (season).
Add the chicken and fry it until both sides are brown. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Locally the curry houses used to have pineapple in a Chicken Malayan and when they added banana to a Korma they called it Chicken Burma. A paste made from spring onions, ginger, and garlic is spiced up with curry powder, garam masala and other spices to coat chicken thighs in this delicious Malaysian curry.
Malay Chicken Korma instructions
- Marinade the chicken with 1 tsp salt and half the Kurma powder for 30 minutes..
- When ready, heat the cooking oil in a wok on high heat. Then, fry the 4 Sekawan spice mix with shallots, ginger and garlic until fragrant. Then add the remaining Kurma powder and fry it for another 10 seconds..
- Add the chicken and fry it until both sides are brown. Then add coconut milk, half the green chillies, palm sugar, nutmeg, candle nuts and mix well. Bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down to low heat..
- Cover with a lid and let everything cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Check and stir every 3 minutes and season with extra salt if necessary. When sauce has thicken, pour in the juice and serve it in a serving plate and garnish with the remaining green chillies..
- NOTE; the 4 sekawan (The Four Friends) is a well known spice blend in Malay. Sometimes it's known as 3 Sekawan (The 3 Amigos minus the Cloves)..
- I have used Greek yogurt along with coconut milk to give more rich taste..
Chicken korma is rich and creamy, cooked with plenty of yogurts, and heavily scented with expensive spices. Once it was the noble dish worthy for the Mughal emperors, graced the banquet tables of the imperial Mughal court. Now, you can enjoy this delicious traditional dish at your comfy home. Transfer the chicken to a plate using a slotted spoon or spatula and return the pan to the heat. Keep the chicken warm by covering in foil or.