Oven Braised Pot Roast. Season the beef roast well with salt and pepper. Push half of a garlic clove into each cut. Heat the oil in a braising pan or large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add the potatoes and carrots to the Dutch oven, cover and return the roast to the oven. Toss to coat and spread vegetables over the bottom of your dish evenly. In a casserole large enough to hold the meat, heat the butter. You can have Oven Braised Pot Roast using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Oven Braised Pot Roast
- Prepare 3 of -5 lb boneless Chuck Roast.
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic, cut into slivers.
- It’s 2 tsp of Kosher Salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of Cajun seasoning, or to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Onion powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Vegetable or Canola oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of Chopped onion.
- It’s 3 cup of Beef Stock or broth, warmed.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried Thyme, crushed.
- You need 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
Heat olive oil in large, oven safe casserole pan. Season meat on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or covered oven-safe pot, cook the bacon with onion on the stovetop until the onion is softened. Remove the bacon and onion to a plate and sear the roast in the drippings on all sides.
Oven Braised Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Stud the roast using the tip of a knife to cut multiple small slits in areas all over the meat and inserting slivers of garlic into each cut..
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder with fork. Sprinkle flour mixture over entire roast. Rub mixture into the roast, turning until thoroughly covered, including sides. Let rest for 15 min while the oven pre-heats.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of fat in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Using tongs, carefully place roast into hot oil and sear it on all sides..
- Remove roast and set aside. Add more fat or oil as needed to equal 1/4 cup. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly until mixture reaches the color of mud (about 5-7 mins)..
- Stir in the chopped onion and cook about 3 minutes..
- Stir in the warm beef broth, thyme, Worcestershire and bay leaf.
- Place roast into the gravy, spoon some of the gravy on top, cover and cook at 275°F for 4 hours basting occasionally (if you want to add vegetables and potato's, after two hours remove from the oven, baste the meat and add the carrots along the side of the roast, cover and return to the oven for 1 hr. then remove, baste and add the potatoes, cover and cook another hr or until the potatoes are tender).
Add the onion and bacon back to the pan along with the apple juice and beef broth. Cut a length of kitchen string about four times the length of the roast and wrap once around the length, then around width several times, tying where it comes together. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over moderately high heat. To make the brisket, season the beef all over with salt and pepper. Next, empty all the fat from the pot, then replace the brisket and arrange the vegetables and mushrooms around the meat.