Homeade Red Velvet Cake. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until well combined. The cake mixture should be bright red, it will get a little darker as it cooks. Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
And unlike a lot of chocolate sponge recipes, which have a tendency to dry out quite quickly, I can safely say that this stays moist and still tastes fresh a few days later, making it a perfect cake to make in advance. Beat in the flour and buttermilk, alternately, one-third at a time. Then mix together the bicarbonate of soda and the cider vinegar and stir into the cake batter. You can have Homeade Red Velvet Cake using 17 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homeade Red Velvet Cake
- It’s of cake.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- You need 2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 3 tbsp of cocoa.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s 3 tbsp of red food coloring.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vinegar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s of icing.
- Prepare 1 box of 10x Powdered sugar.
- You need 1 stick of butter.
- Prepare 8 oz of cream cheese.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped pecans.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Red velvet cake is a classic chocolate layer cake with a striking reddish-brown sponge. These days the sponge is most likely to be coloured using food colouring but originally it was created by using 'undutched' or natural cocoa powder which, along with vinegar, causes a reaction which turns the sponge red. Red Velvet Cake is not just a chocolate cake with red food colouring added.
Homeade Red Velvet Cake instructions
- Grease and lightly flour 2 8x2inch pans or line 2 12 cup muffin pans with cupcake liners..
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix food coloring and cocoa together. Add vinegar stir and set to side.
- Sift flour,salt,and soda together and set to side..
- Cream Sugar and Oil. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add food coloring mixture to egg mixture and mix well.
- Alternately add flour mixture and butter milk to egg mixture and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract mix well.
- Pour bake into baking pans and bake on center rack for 25-30 minutes (20-25 for cupcakes).
- Allow to completely cool before icing.
- Mix cream chesse butter and powdered sugar until smooth add pecans.
This cake is softer than most, "velvet-like", and the chocolate taste is actually quite mild. It's more like a cross between a vanilla and chocolate cake with a very subtle tang from buttermilk. And it is generously smothered in a fluffy cream cheese frosting. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat the butter and sugar together until light.