Fresh Artichokes, Preparing and Serving. Remove the tough leaves close to the base of the artichokes. Cut off the stems completely, so the artichokes will sit flat. Cook in plenty of lightly salted, boiling water.
To steam a whole artichoke, place a steaming basket in a large pot filled with water until it reaches the basket. Place artichokes, along with the garlic, in a large bowl, and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. You can have Fresh Artichokes, Preparing and Serving using 8 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fresh Artichokes, Preparing and Serving
- Prepare 4 of medium to large fresh artichokes.
- Prepare 1 of large stockpot, filled halfway full with chicken broth.
- You need 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 of recipe Hollindaise Sauce, recipe included below.
- You need 1 of recipe Spicy Ranch dip / dressing, recipe included below.
Place artichokes and garlic cut side down on a baking sheet. If there are any leaves with thorns on their tops, clip off the thorny ends with kitchen scissors. I didn't have a steamer so I put an iron trivet in. Snap back tough outer leaves until you begin to expose the pale yellow ones.
Fresh Artichokes, Preparing and Serving step by step
- Add lemon juice, butter, cajun seasoning and pepper to chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil while preparing artichokes..
- Cut stem of artichoke off so that artichoke stands upright. Snip off pointed ends with scissors. Cut 1/4 inch of top with sharp knife..
- Add to boiling, seasoned chicken broth, cover and simmer. Cook until the tip of a knife inserted into the bottom center of artichoke goes in easily This will take 40 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the artichokes.
- Drain artichokes upside down for 2 to 3 minutes..
- To eat an artichoke, serve whole, pulling off each leaf individually, dip bottom of leaf in sauce and scrape off soft meaty flesh with your teeth..
- When you finish with all the leaves, you get to the heart, which is surrounded by sharp little leaves, pull them off, do not eat pointed tops..
- Now you will see a fuzzy covered heart, with a small sharp knife or spoon take the fuzz off and discard, what is left is the delicious heart, cut up and dip in to your sauce!.
- To prepare in advance, cook and drain as directed, place each artichoke top side up in small bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days. To reheat place artichoke, in it's bowl on a microwave safe plate. You can use a platter if you have a few.artichokes. Fill a small microwave safe glass halfway full with water, place on a plate or a platter with the artichokes. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave until hot. About 1 to 2 minutes for each artichoke, depending on your microwave.and how cold they are..
- Serve hot artichokes, 1 per person, with your favorite sauce.. I have included Hollindaise sauce and Spicy Ranch Dio / Dressing, but lemon butter, garlic butter, or just plain melted butter is good.as well! https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/353091-spicy-ranch-dipdressing https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/360436-classic-hollandaise-sauce.
Rub all cut surface with lemon juice as you go. Trim top off and pare down the leaves which cover the base of the heart. Ocean Mist Farms shows how to prepare a fresh artichoke for cooking. You can cook artichokes ahead of time and store them for several days before eating or. Serve the leaves warm or at room temperature and eat them as you would eat a steamed artichoke; simply scrape the tender flesh at the ends of the leaves with your teeth.