Red Velvet Cake. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until well combined. The cake mixture should be bright red, it will get a little darker as it cooks. Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the eggs, then add the cocoa powder and the food colour. Beat in the flour and buttermilk, alternately, one-third at a time. You can have Red Velvet Cake using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Red Velvet Cake
- You need 3 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 5 of eggs.
- It’s 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of Crisco.
- Prepare 2 tsp of vinegar.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Cocoa.
- Prepare 3 cup of All purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of sour cream.
- You need 2 oz of Red food color.
Red velvet cake is a classic chocolate layer cake with a striking reddish-brown sponge. These days the sponge is most likely to be coloured using food colouring but originally it was created by using 'undutched' or natural cocoa powder which, along with vinegar, causes a reaction which turns the sponge red. Red Velvet Cake is not just a chocolate cake with red food colouring added. This cake is softer than most, "velvet-like", and the chocolate taste is actually quite mild.
Red Velvet Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream together Crisco, eggs, vanilla, sugar.
- Blend in vinegar, cocoa & red food color.
- Mix together flour, salt & baking powder.
- Add one cup of flour mixture & mix 1 minute.
- Next add cup of sour cream, mix one minute.
- Add last cup of flour & mix until everything is blended – scrape down sides of bowl.
- Grease & flour a bundt pan. Add mixture & bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes depending on oven.
- Remove from oven & let cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto cake plate. Once cool, drizzle with cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting: Mix together 1 stick of butter, 1 block of cream cheese, 1 box of powdered sugar & 2 tsp of vanilla extract. Pecans optional..
It's more like a cross between a vanilla and chocolate cake with a very subtle tang from buttermilk. And it is generously smothered in a fluffy cream cheese frosting. Once the cakes are completely cool, place the first layer on a serving plate. Cover the top with your favourite icing (cream cheese icing is the traditional match for red velvet cake, but you could also use vanilla buttercream). Place the second layer on top of the first, then ice the top and sides, if desired, with additional icing.