Minestrone Soup. Minestrone is a hearty, traditional Italian soup typically made with beans, pasta and lots of vegetables. By College Inn® Broths and Stocks Directions Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
Directions In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil and butter until tender. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, parsley, oregano and pepper. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. You can cook Minestrone Soup using 18 ingredients and 32 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Minestrone Soup
- Prepare of garlic.
- Prepare of red onion.
- It’s of carrots.
- You need of celery.
- You need of courgette/zucchini.
- You need of small leek.
- Prepare of large potato.
- Prepare of x 400g (15 oz) tin or can of cannellini beans.
- You need of higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- It’s of dried oregano.
- Prepare of fresh bay leaf.
- It’s of x 400g (14-oz) tins or cans plum tomatoes.
- You need of organic vegetable stock.
- Prepare of large handful of seasonal greens, such as savoy cabbage, curly kale, chard.
- You need of wholemeal pasta.
- Prepare of fresh basil (optional).
- It’s of Parmesan cheese.
Add the onion, celery and carrots. Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Onions – you can use shallots or leek as an alternative. Tomatoes – any kind of tomatoes will do.
Minestrone Soup instructions
- Peel and finely chop the garlic..
- Peel and finely chop the onion..
- Trim and roughly chop the carrots..
- Trim and roughly chop the celery..
- Trim and roughly chop the courgette/zucchini..
- Then add the vegetables to a large bowl..
- Cut the ends off the leeks, quarter them lengthways..
- Wash them under running water….
- Then cut into 1cm slices. Add to the bowl..
- Scrub and dice the potato..
- Drain the cannellini beans, then set aside..
- Finely slice the bacon..
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the bacon….
- And fry gently for 2 minutes, or until golden..
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, courgette/zucchini, and leek..
- Add oregano and bay..
- Cook slowly for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened, stirring occasionally..
- Add the potato, cannellini beans and plum tomatoes…..
- Then pour in the vegetable stock..
- Stir well, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon..
- Cover with a lid and bring everything slowly to the boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potato is cooked through. Meanwhile….
- Remove and discard any tough stalks bits from the greens….
- Then roughly chop..
- Using a rolling pin, bash the pasta into pieces while it’s still in the packet or wrap in a clean tea towel..
- To check the potato is cooked, pierce a chunk of it with a sharp knife – if it pierces easily, it’s done..
- Add the greens and pasta to the pan, and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente..
- This translates as ‘to the tooth’ and means that it should be soft enough to eat, but still have a bit of a bite and firmness to it..
- Try some just before the time is up to make sure you cook it perfectly..
- Add a splash more stock or water to loosen, if needed..
- Pick over the basil leaves (if using) and stir through..
- Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then serve with a grating of Parmesan and a slice of wholemeal bread, if you like..
You can also use good quality canned tomatoes. Directions In a stockpot, saute the onions, celery and parsley in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, carrots, basil, salt and pepper. Minestrone is a hearty Italian vegetable soup made with tomato-y broth and pasta or rice. I've been working hard on this recipe and I'm so excited to share it with you.