Yankee Pot Roast. Read customer reviews & Find best sellers. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat in oil. Add the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, water, salt, thyme and pepper to the pan.
Transfer to a plate and set aside. Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining olive oil. A variety of vegetables add flavor to this great-tasting Yankee pot roast. You can cook Yankee Pot Roast using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Yankee Pot Roast
- It’s 1 of 3+ lb. Chuck Roast.
- Prepare 1 of large Onion, large dice.
- It’s 3 of stalks Celery, sliced.
- It’s 1 of can Beef Broth.
- Prepare 2 of cups Water with 2 beef bullion cubes.
- You need 1 of pk. mini Carrots.
- Prepare 5 of Red Potatoes, quartered.
- Prepare 3 of stalk Celery, in 2" cuts.
- It’s 1 of Spices.
- You need 1/3 of cup flour, mixed in 1/2 cup water.
The pot roast is slowly simmered to perfection with potatoes, carrots, and diced rutabaga. It's a classic meal you can enjoy any time of the year. The red wine adds flavor to the liquids, but you may decrease the amount of wine or leave it out altogether. Directions In a large, heavy flameproof casserole, preferably cast iron, over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions until golden.
Yankee Pot Roast step by step
- Sprinkle meat with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Fry in large pan, both sides, till browned..
- In Crock Pot, add onion and sliced celery. Add meat. Add liquid ingredients..
- Add 1 Tsp. each: Thyme, Italian seasoning, Pepper, Garlic..
- Cover and cook on high 2 hrs..
- Add rest of vegetables and cook for 3 hrs..
- Remove meat to plate, keep warm..
- Add flour slurry to crock pot and cook on high 20 mins..
- Serve meat with gravy and vegs..
Thoroughly dredge the beef in the flour, covering. Yankee pot roast is a dish that originated in the United States but is based off a European cooking technique called braising. The dish is centered on a piece of beef, usually a tougher cut, that is first seared in a deep pan, then simmered in a stock or its own juices, or both. Once the meat is browned, pot roast is simmered in a mixture of stock and tomatoes, seasoned with sautéed onion and herbs. Then, during the final hour, the cook adds his or her choice of vegetables for the final, tantalizing hour.