Sourdough Bread. Spectacular deals are right here on Udemy. Expert tutor Sourdough bread freezes really well, so if you know you won't eat the whole loaf, freeze half for another day. Defrost on a wire rack, covered with a tea towel, so that the bread doesn't dry out or develop a soggy bottom.
Use your fingers to gently stir in the mature sourdough starter until fully dissolved, then repeat with the flour until smooth and combined. Transfer to a large jar or plastic container. For the next six days, you will need to 'feed' it. You can have Sourdough Bread using 6 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sourdough Bread
- Prepare 375 g of bread flour.
- You need 125 g of whole wheat flour.
- You need 400 g of g water.
- You need 100 g of starter.
- It’s 10 g of salt.
- Prepare of vegetable oil.
Sourdough bread is made by the fermentation of dough using naturally occurring lactobacilli and yeast. As a result, the bread has a mildly sour taste not present in most breads made with baker's yeast, and therefore better inherent keeping qualities than other breads due to the lactic acid produced by the lactobacilli. A sourdough loaf made with the simple basic ingredients of flour, water and a touch of salt. We used Einkorn to make the starter and ferment followed by strong white flour to make the dough.
Sourdough Bread step by step
- To check if starter is ready to be used, add a small piece of starter to a bowl of water. If it floats, the starter is active. This test is not always accurate..
- Mix flours together with 375 ml of water, let rest 30 minutes – 2 hours for autolyse..
- Add starter to dough and pinch into dough with hands..
- Add 10g of salt and the remaining 25 ml of water, the dough should be a little easier to mix and very watery..
- With force, slap dough onto un-floured surface and fold together 5 minutes until some strength develops and the dough can hold its form..
- Lightly oil bowl or proofing box and add dough..
- Proof dough in proofing oven set to 85 F or at room temperature..
- With oiled hands, pick up dough at middle and fold onto itself, then rotate dough 90 degrees and fold again. Repeat every 30 minutes for 3-4 hours, total of 6-8 times..
- Prepare a generously floured towel placed in shaping basket or bowl to hold the dough overnight..
- Place dough on an un-floured surface and carefully form dough into a round shape. Lightly flour and let relax 10 minutes covered with a towel..
- Rollover onto floured surface with un-floured bottom facing up, pull sides out and fold together like an envelope..
- Stitch bottom together to hold and let rest seam-side down on counter to seal. Move into basket, seam-side up, and cover with flour, refrigerate overnight covered in towel..
- Flour parchment paper, preheat dutch oven on middle rack of oven set to 500F..
- Gently roll out dough onto parchment paper and score top of dough ball with a razor blade..
- Transfer dough with parchment paper into hot Dutch oven. Bake for 15 minutes with the lid on and 30 minutes off, cook times vary..
- Knock bottom of bread to hear hollow sound if bread is fully cooked..
There are three distinct stages to making a sourdough loaf, the starter, the ferment and the dough itself. Sourdough bread is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. However, the same qualities that make sourdough bread so healthy can also create complications for people with certain medical conditions. Bread From the hands of brilliant bakers come many a lovingly made organic bread loaf — our sourdough bread is a real star – to pop into your pantry. Soup night has just gotten much more enjoyable.