Beef Barley Stew. Fill Your Cart With Color today! Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders!
Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan. Place a layer of flour-coated beef in the pan, turning so the beef browns all over. Do not add too much beef at a time or it will boil in its juices, rather than fry. You can cook Beef Barley Stew using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef Barley Stew
- You need 1/2 kg of stew beef cubes.
- You need 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 750 ml of beef stock.
- You need 1/2 cup of barley.
- It’s 1 of medium carrot, cubed.
- Prepare of To taste, salt and pepper.
- You need 1/2 tsp of marjoram.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 cup of white wine (optional).
In a large skillet brown the beef in the hot oil, browning on all sides, remove meat and set aside. Add onion and garlic to skillet beef drippings and cook until onion is translucent. Add the beef and brown it in the oniony oil. When the beef has begun to brown, stir in the barley and let it get coated in the oil too.
Beef Barley Stew step by step
- Heat oil on medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onions, fry until soft. Add garlic, continue to fry until fragrant.
- Add beef, fry until no longer pink, about five minutes..
- Add beef stock, wine (if using), carrots, barley, marjoram, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium low and let simmer for 1½ to 2 hours or until beef is tender and carrots are cooked. Skim off the scum..
Now add the beer, the stock, the Worcester sauce and the tomato puree and stir though. Stir in the mushrooms, if using. Tip in the vegetables and stir gently. Beef and Barley Stew – a comforting winter warming filling bowl of tender beef pieces, vegetables and pearl barley. Spray a large casserole with olive oil spray and warm over a high heat.