Nalli nihari. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders To make Nihari Masala, dry roast four tablespoons cumin seeds, four tablespoons fennel seeds, twelve to fifteen dry red chillies, two tablespoons cloves, five green cardamoms, three black cardamoms, twenty five to thirty black peppercorns, four to five tablespoons poppy seeds, two bay leaves, one blade mace, two tablespoons dry ginger powder, half tablespoon nutmeg powder and four to five one-inch cinnamon sticks till fragrant. About Nalli Nihari Recipe: Nihari is a slow-cooked mutton curry. The word Nihar originates from the Arabic word 'Nahar' which means 'day'.
Beef, Lamb, Mutton, and even chicken are widely used in making Nalli Nihari. Shank is mainly the round thigh meat. The muscles of the upper thigh of the animals due to their bone structure are having tough and dry and also full of marrow. You can cook Nalli nihari using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nalli nihari
- Prepare 1 kg of beef with bones.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of ghee.
- Prepare 2 of medium onions thinly sliced.
- You need 1 tsp of ginger paste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garlic paste.
- Prepare 2 tsp of coriander powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s 3 tbsp of wheat flour.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- You need 3 tbsp of nihari masala (recipe given below).
- Prepare of nihari masala.
- You need 1 tbsp of fennel seeds.
- You need 1 tbsp of cumin seeds.
- It’s 1 tsp of soonth.
- You need 5 of green cardamoms.
- Prepare 3 of black cardamoms.
- Prepare 10 of black peppercorns.
- It’s 1/2 inch of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 1/6 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare of small piece mace.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 4 of cloves.
- It’s of To make Nihari Masala.
- You need of To make your own Nihari masala, dry roast all the whole spices for the masala; cool; and grind them to a fine powder.
Nihari is a deliciously smooth flour based mutton stew of slow cooked in a myriad of spices. Reserved for royal kitchens in the past, nihari masala is a delicacy, now found in many restaurants in Delhi, Hyderabad, and Lucknow. Nalli simply means mutton, while Nihari is the name of this spice-rich curry. In order to make Nalli Nihari, you'll have to use the Nihari masala powder.
Nalli nihari instructions
- Heat Ghee in a deep bottom stock pot. Once the ghee is hot, add the sliced onions and fry till they start to turn brown..
- Add mutton pieces, ginger paste, garlic paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well to coat the mutton in ghee and spices. Sauté for 5 mins..
- Add the nihari masala and 8 cups of water. Mix well, cover and cook on very low heat for about 4 hours until the meat is tender..
- Slowly add it to the gravy. Stir to mix it well in the gravy and let it simmer for another 10-15 mins till the gravy thickens..
- Sprinkle some lime juice and garnish with ginger strips and fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot..
- Keep checking in between. Dissolve wheat flour in half cup of water such that there are no lumps..
If you'd like to make the Nihari masala powder from scratch, check out the recipe for that below: Nalli Nihari Masala Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana – YouTube The secret ingredient to the most popular recipe of the Mughlai Cuisine is in it's masala. After nihari is cooked, bone marrow is taken out of nihari and added in serving bowl. Like, you serve nihari in a bowl, then add soft fatty extract of bone marrow (bone is discarded) on top and finally, you add garnish and tempering. So Nihari with nalli (bone marrow extracts) is nalli Nihari.