Flavorful Pot Roast. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressings and gravy mix; stir in water. Take it out of the oven when the roast is falling apart and the vegetables will be very tender. How to Cook a Pot Roast SEAR Add oil to the pan and sear chuck roast in oil (bacon grease is better if you have it!) until browned on all sides.
The secret to tender pot roast is to cook it long enough, so if it's not tender yet, that means it's not done yet. If you don't have enough liquid to cover the roast, you'll have to flip the roast over every hour or so. Add carrots and potatoes the last hour. You can have Flavorful Pot Roast using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Flavorful Pot Roast
- Prepare of chuck roast about 3 pounds.
- It’s of olive oil.
- You need of carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks.
- Prepare of potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks.
- You need of onion, peeled and cut into large chunks.
- Prepare of stalks celery, cut into large chunks, optional.
- It’s of beef broth.
- It’s of cornstarch.
- It’s of steak seasoning.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of dried thyme.
- Prepare of dried rosemary.
Peel them and chop to desired size. The very best pot roast recipes are low-effort and high-reward, yielding buttery, tender beef that practically falls apart at the touch of a fork. The veggies should melt in your mouth, and everything should be covered in a rich, meaty glaze. It's an absolute showstopper, and it makes awesome leftovers to boot.
Flavorful Pot Roast instructions
- Combined together seasoning mix in a small bowl. Set aside..
- Coat both sides of the meat with olive oil. Sprinkle on a third of the seasoning mix onto each side.
- Sear both sides of the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle on a little olive oil to coat vegetables. Sprinkle on the remaining seasoning mix. Add the vegetables to the same skillet that was used to sear the meat. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Transfer the vegetables to the top of the roast in the slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth. Cover with lid..
- Cook on low for 9 hours or on high for 6 hours..
- Using a turkey baster, retrieve most of the cooking juices from the slow cooker. Transfer juices to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat on the stove top. Whisk together the cornstarch with a little water. Blend into the pan juices while whisking. Bring that to a simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed..
- Transfer the roast and vegetables to a large platter. Ladle the gravy over. Serve immediately..
Use a thick-bottomed covered pot (ovenproof if you intend to cook in oven), such as a Dutch oven, just large enough to hold roast and vegetables. Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle and rub salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning all over the meat. Guinness Pot Roast replaces the usual red wine with dark beer to create a rich and robust flavor. This roast is full of garlic, fresh and dried herbs, onions, paprika, plus a touch of brown sugar and tomato paste.