Guinness Stout Beef Stew. Wide Selection of beers, wine & spirits. Free UK delivery on eligible orders! Discover The Latest Outdoor Collection Now.
Stir, taste and add a little more salt if necessary. As its name suggests, what sets Ireland's beef stew apart from others is its inclusion of Guinness stout. The alcohol is evaporated as the simmers low and slow and you're left with a deep and robust flavor with fork-tender beef, waxy potatoes and the sweetness of parsnips and carrots. You can cook Guinness Stout Beef Stew using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Guinness Stout Beef Stew
- It’s 1 – 2 lbs of beef chuck (fattier mix).
- It’s 3 of carrots.
- Prepare 2 of potatoes.
- Prepare 2 stalks of celery.
- Prepare 1 tall can of Guinness beer.
- Prepare 2.5 cups of chicken stock.
- It’s 4-5 sprigs of thyme.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 Tsp of sugar.
- You need 4 srips of bacon (cut into small pcs).
- It’s 1 piece of Spam (cut into small pcs).
- It’s 2 of whole onions.
- It’s 1/4 Cup of tomato paste.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic.
Guinness Beef Stew is traditional Irish pub fare. After a couple of minutes, pour in the stock and Guinness. Remove the paper, then cook the stew for another hour, or until the meat is tender. Place beef in stew pot with bacon, leaving fat in skillet.
Guinness Stout Beef Stew step by step
- Render fat from bits of bacon and spam, till brown and crisp. Transfer to pot and leave 1 tbsp of grease in pan. (Medium High Heat).
- Use pan to brown beef cubes (tossed in salt & pepper) in high heat and transfer beef to pot.
- Turn heat to medium and sweat onions (with salt) for 5 mins then add in minced garlic and cook for 1 min, careful not to brown. Then deglaze with 1 can of Guinness Stout Beer and cook for 2 -3 mins on medium heat..
- Transfer to pot, add tomato paste, thyme, freshly ground black pepper, carrots, bayleaf, celery & lastly, chicken stock to cover top of all the ingredients. Rise heat to high till simmering then reduce to low heat..
- Simmer stew gently for 2 hours. Option to add in potatoes later to avoid turning mushy & cayenne powder for taste.
This Beef Guinness Stew is the most delicious, comfort food for cold winter nights. Slow cooked for meltingly soft and delicious beef and ale flavours. This traditional Irish stew recipe can be cooked in the crock pot or oven. It freezes really well and can also be used as the base for a beef and Guinness pie. Meat in Guinness Stew – beef OR lamb Traditionally, Guinness Stew is made with lamb.