Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Great recipe for Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup. This is a go to soup (meal) when I have leftover ham from a holiday meal.
To "Mexican-ize" the dish, add some "heat" (jalapeno or. Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup instructions Soak the black beans and prep according to the package direction. [For a quick soak, use the boiling water method.]. Instructions In a large pot, heat oil over medium to medium-high heat. You can have Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup
- You need 1 lb. of dried black beans.
- Prepare 3 tbs. of olive or vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 3 tbs. of tomato paste.
- You need 1 of smoked ham hock.
- It’s 7 cups of vegetable stock.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of cumin.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of coriander.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of thyme.
- Prepare Dash of paprika.
- It’s 3 cups of cooked ham, cubed.
- You need 1/4 cup of dry sherry.
- It’s Dash of salt and pepper.
Add garlic, and saute' additional minute. Add ham and saute' additional minute. Stir in lime zest, beans (including liquid), stock, tomatoes (including juice), hot sauce and. This hearty black bean soup is what you need on a cold and dreary day!
Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup instructions
- Soak the black beans and prep according to the package direction. [For a quick soak, use the boiling water method.].
- In a large pot over medium heat, begin heating the oil and sauté the onions and bell pepper until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat them for 30 seconds..
- Add the tomato paste and mix all the ingredients well..
- Pour in the vegetable broth and then add the drained beans, ham hock and the bay leaf..
- Bring to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the cumin, coriander, thyme, and paprika. Partially cover the pot and cook for about 2 hours until the beans are tender..
- Remove the ham bone and shred off any meat. Set aside. Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes..
- Depending on desired consistency (smooth or chunky), you can puree the soup by using a handheld immersion blender or in batches with a blender..
- Add the cooked ham and shredded meat to the soup in the pot. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) and add the sherry. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat uncovered to heat through..
- Serve with toppings of choice such as sour cream or yogurt, green onions, chopped hard-boiled egg, etc. Serve with some crusty bread..
Made with ham shanks, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, cumin, and The foundation ingredients are black beans, smoked ham hock or shank, onions, and spices. But even the ham hock or shank you could substitute with. This black bean soup recipe is nicely flavored with garlic, a meaty ham bone, and. Add red bell pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, brown sugar, lemon juice, and sherry. Remove ham bone and bay leaf.