Lemon meringue cookies. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Looking For Cookies Lemon? We Have Almost Everything on eBay. These easy Lemon Meringue Cookies are made from egg whites whisked into a stiff meringue and baked until they are slightly crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.
These Lemon Meringue Cookies are crisp on the outside and give way to a slightly softer inside that is delicately flavored with sweet lemon. These simply sweet and slightly chewy meringues will melt in your mouth. When you make lemon meringue cookies, you don't even need the cream of tartar! You can cook Lemon meringue cookies using 10 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lemon meringue cookies
- Prepare of Meringue cookies.
- Prepare 3 of egg whites.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of super fine sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- It’s of lemon curd.
- Prepare 1 of the zest of one lemon.
- You need 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- You need 3 tbsp of butter.
- You need 4 of eggs.
- It’s 1 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
The lemon juice is acidic, just like cream of tartar. It works the same way when beating the egg whites for this recipe. You only need a small amount, to avoid a watery result and ensure that you can get stiff peaks. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest until blended.
Lemon meringue cookies instructions
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Separate egg whites from the yolks. If ANY yolk gets into the whites start over. Leave the whites out at room temp..
- While the eggs sit start the lemon curd. In a heavy bottom saucepan combine eggs, sugar, and lemon juice on medium heat..
- When the ingredients are combined add butter..
- Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Cover and chill..
- To start the meringue beat the egg whites on medium until they form soft peaks..
- Slowly add sugar a couple tablespoons at a time. Increase mixing speed..
- Once all the sugar is incorporated add the lemon juice and continue to beat until stiff peaks form..
- The meringue is ready when the bowl can be flipped upside down, the meringue looks glossy, and no sugar granules can be felt..
- You may add color at this point if you wish. Transfer to a piping bag..
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicon mat or parchment. If you use parchment make sure you pipe a small amount of the meringue to the cookie sheet on each corner to glue it down..
- Pipe one circle, then pipe another circle around the first one leaving space in the middle. Think of a little cup to hold the curd. They can be quite close together as they do not rise..
- Place in the oven and leave for about an hour then turn off the oven and let them cool for another hour. Do not open the oven until the meringues are no longer shiny. At least 40 minutes..
- Once the meringues are done fill them with the lemon curd and they're done. Meringue can be made up to a week a head of time. Store in the refrigerator..
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Foil will also work in a pinch. Directions Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and lemon juice together in a bowl with metal beaters until stiff peaks form. Slowly add in sugar and beat together. Like a classic lemon meringue pie, it has three parts.