Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe. Once all the broth is added, whisk in the milk and increase heat to med-high. Let this mixture come to a low boil. Once it reaches a boil, stir in the broccoli and lower the heat to med-low.
Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup. Saute onion: Melt butter in pot over medium-high heat. You can cook Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large carrot, peeled and finely diced.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of unsalted chicken or vegetable broth.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of milk at room temperature.
- You need 2 of heaping cups fresh chopped broccoli florets.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded + extra for topping.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of each salt, pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme.
- It’s 1/8 tsp. of each dried oregano, ground nutmeg.
Add liquids: While whisking, slowly pour in milk then chicken broth. Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Saute garlic in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and chopped broccoli.
Broccoli Cheese Soup – Stove Top Recipe step by step
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add in the carrots and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent…about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute or so more, until fragrant. Then add in the butter and let it melt down..
- Gradually whisk in the flour in small batches. Whisk constantly until all the flour is added and incorporated. Mixture will be very thick. Allow the mix to cook for 1 minute, continuing to whisk..
- Whisk in the broth in small amounts, whisking constantly, until fully incorporated. Once all the broth is added, whisk in the milk and increase heat to med-high. Let this mixture come to a low boil..
- Once it reaches a boil, stir in the broccoli and lower the heat to med-low. Allow to simmer until the broccoli is tender…about 7-9 minutes. (If using larger sized florets, it may take longer). Then stir in the cream cheese and let that melt down into the soup..
- Stir in the seasonings and taste to see if you think it needs anything else. Then, if you'd like a less chunky soup, use an immersion blender to puree to the desired consistency. You could also use a blender or food processor in small batches, just be careful not to burn yourself..
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in both of the shredded cheeses until it is all melted and incorporated in. That's it, you're ready to serve!.
In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the broccoli, tarragon, thyme and pepper; return to a boil. Add the nutmeg, then the broccoli, a small dash of salt and plenty of black pepper. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Drain, remove vegetables and set aside.