Split Pea and Ham Soup. Book at Pea Soup Andersen's Inn Buellton. Save time and buy groceries online from Amazon.co.uk In a medium pot, sauté onions in oil or bacon dripping. Remove from heat and add split peas and ham hock or bone.
Pour in chicken stock and water. In a medium pot, saute onions in oil. Add the split peas, ham bone, and enough water to cover ingredients; season with salt and pepper. You can have Split Pea and Ham Soup using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Split Pea and Ham Soup
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of dried split peas divided.
- Prepare 10 1/2 cup of water divided.
- Prepare 3 of chicken bouillon cubes for 6 cups of water.
- It’s 2 lb of ham on bone.
- You need 4 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 of carrots, sliced.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks including leaves, sliced.
- It’s 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3 of red potatoes, cubed.
- Prepare 1 of Bay leaf.
- It’s 2 pinch of white pepper.
- It’s 1 pinch of Cheyenne pepper.
- You need of fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s of chopped cooked bacon *optional.
Mix in ham, bay leaf and split peas. Pour in chicken stock and water. How to Make Split Pea and Ham Soup Start with rinsing the dried split peas (for information on soaking split peas, see the tips section at the bottom of this post). Chop the carrots onion and celery into bite-sized pieces.
Split Pea and Ham Soup instructions
- Sort then rinse peas. In a large pot, combine 1lb peas, 8 cups of hot water, chicken bouillon and ham, then bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 min stirring occasionally..
- While that's cooking chop all vegetables. After first half hour add the vegetables and seasonings for 30 more minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. In second pot add 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 lb of peas on medium heat for 30 min..
- Once desired tenderness is reached remove the ham and trim the meat off the bone and discard along with excess fat. Chop meat and add back to soup along with extra peas and water. Mix well and serve..
Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Before getting started making your Split Pea and Ham soup, you must first rinse, sort, and drain the bag of split peas. Do this by opening the bag and placing the peas in a colander. Then run cold water over the peas while you mix them with your hand. Be sure to pick out any peas that look bad and any dirt or small stones that may have been harvested along with the peas.