Shepherds in a Cottage with a Pie. Rent a Cottage: Short to Long-Term Rentals in Harlech from Top Booking Sites. Huge Selection on Second Hand Books. World of Books is one of the largest online sellers of second-hand books in the world Put some oil (just a bit) and the place the onions, carrots and minced beef/lamb in pot.
Originally, a pie made with any kind of meat and mashed potato was called a cottage pie. In modern British English, the dish is usually called "cottage pie" if it is made with beef. If it is made with lamb, it is usually called "shepherd's pie" (because a shepherd looks after sheep). You can cook Shepherds in a Cottage with a Pie using 25 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherds in a Cottage with a Pie
- You need of Lamb, Shepherd.
- You need 1-1/2 pound of lamb, blade chops.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of rosemary.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt.
- It’s 1 cup of water deglaze pan.
- You need 1 quart of water gravy.
- Prepare of Beef, Cottage.
- It’s 2 pound of eye of round beef.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of celery salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- It’s 1-1/4 teaspoon of ground paprika.
- Prepare of Vegetables.
- Prepare 1 pound of carrots.
- You need 1 of large onion diced.
- It’s 1 envelope of instant potatoes 2 serving size.
- You need 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need of Potatoes.
- Prepare 3 pound of white potatoes.
- You need As needed of water to boil.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 stick of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need 36 ounces of canned evaporated milk.
Both have mashed potatoes on top, and occasionally on the bottom as well. A definitive version of the classic family recipe, this easy shepherd's pie has been triple-tested by our cookery team and nutritionally analysed. Find more family favourite recipes including cottage pie, spaghetti bolognese and chicken casserole on BBC Good Food. Shepherd's – or Cottage – pie is an excellent dish to make too much of for another day.
Shepherds in a Cottage with a Pie step by step
- Preheat the oven 425°Fahrenheit. Trim the fat and bones of the lamb. Put into pan season with salt and pepper..
- Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and add 1 cup water. Scrape the bottom of pan with water to remove bits and drippings. Put everything from roasting pan with the bones in a pot to make the broth..
- Slice the carrots and onions..
- Add seasonings to the lamb. Then add seasonings to the beef..
- Add both meats to the pot. Add in the carrots and onions. Sauté for 20minutes then add butter..
- When the butter melts add the flour. Let the flour cook in then add the broth without the bones..
- Add the peas and instant mashed potatoes..
- Peel and dice the potatoes and boil till fork tender. Season with salt, add butter 1cup water and 24 ounces canned evaporated milk. Let thicken and cool. Add to top of already thickened gravy and rake grooves in top with a fork..
- Bake in oven 425°Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. Let some of the grooves brown. Let rest 15 minutes and serve. I hope you enjoy!!!!.
Just place in a sealed container in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Or freeze it in portions ready for days when you don't have time to cook. This dish can stand alone without any vegetables, especially if it contains several. However it is really good with mashed swede (in my opinion!) and / or cauliflower. So by default, Shepherd's pie and cottage pie are two of my favourite comfort foods.