Split Pea Soup. Low Prices on Split Pea Soup. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Best Price Guarantee! In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil.
Then pour in the stock and add the washed split peas. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Split pea soup can be kept refrigerated for about a week, or frozen for up to three months. You can cook Split Pea Soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- It’s 2 cup of chicken broth.
- You need 1 cup of dry split peas (rinsed & drained).
- You need 1 1/2 lb of meaty pork hocks or meaty ham bone.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of dried marjoram crushed.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped carrot.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chopped celery.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chopped onion.
To freeze, cool the soup completely, then transfer to freezer containers or bags. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or gently warm the frozen soup in a saucepan over low heat on the stove top. Looking for More Easy Soup Recipes? Add split peas, chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves, and seared ham hock to the pot and bring to a boil.
Split Pea Soup instructions
- In large saucepan combine broth, split peas, ham hock, marjoram, bay leaf, 2 cups of water & dash of pepper..
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 1 hour. Stirring occasionally.
- When cool enough, cut meat off bones. Return meat to saucepan. Stir in carrots, celery & onion..
- Return to boiling, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 20-30 min. (til veggies are tender).
In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Place bacon in a large pot and cook over medium heat until crisp. Stir in split peas, bay leaves and rosemary. Lovage has a delicate celery-like flavour, but if you can't find it, substitute with mint. Finnish split pea soup by The Hairy Bikers.