Split Pea Soup. Low Prices on Split Pea Soup. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Best Price Guarantee! Add the other vegetables and the potato and cook a few.
Add split peas, chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves, and seared ham hock to the pot and bring to a boil. Place bacon in a large pot and cook over medium heat until crisp. Stir in split peas, bay leaves and rosemary. You can have Split Pea Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 1 lb of dried split peas.
- It’s 1 of meaty ham hock with bone.
- Prepare 2-4 strips of Bacon and bacon grease.
- Prepare 1 TBS of Chicken drippings or chicken bouillon.
- Prepare 1 cup of sliced carrots.
- Prepare 3 stalks of chopped celery.
- You need 1 of medium sweet onion chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of cream.
- Prepare 2 TBS of butter.
- Prepare to taste of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 8 cups of water.
Bissara split pea soup is very popular in Morocco. In Morocco northern cities like Tangier and Tetouan, it is served in breakfast with homemade bread, black olives, and unprocessed goat cheese. Tell me about a healthier way to start the day! So if you are looking for a new soup recipe, I'm really encouraging you to try this one.
Split Pea Soup step by step
- Sort through peas, clean them of any debris..
- Put peas and ham in large pan cover with 8 cups of water..
- Add onion.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cover. Simmering for about 1 1/2 hours. Stirring frequently..
- Remove ham bone cut ham from bone and dice putting both both and meat back into the pot..
- Fry bacon, add grease to pot put bacon aside to crumble into soup later..
- Add carrot and celery. Simmer another 30 minutes..
- Add butter, cream and bacon crumbles. Stirring well add salt and pepper to taste. About 1 to 1 1/2 tsp each. I use less salt and let it be salted to taste by each person. Simmer another half hour stirring frequently and serve..
Lovage has a delicate celery-like flavour, but if you can't find it, substitute with mint. Split Pea Soup Ingredients: Olive oil – this is used to saute the vegetables, butter can be substituted. Yellow onion, celery, carrots and garlic – these vegetables built up the background flavors of the soup. They add some nice color too. Finnish split pea soup by The Hairy Bikers.