'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Check Out Split Peas on eBay.
Make it in double time with an Instant Pot! Split pea and ham soup is a traditional soup recipe that doesn't get the credit it deserves. With a tasty rich and flavorful soup packed with veggies and ham, every bite tastes better than it looks. You can cook 'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of 'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dried split peas.
- It’s 2-3 slices of ham, shredded, chopped, whatever.
- Prepare 1 cup of chicken stock.
- You need of 'Flavouring' (I used a tablespoon of leftover casserole liquid).
- It’s 1 of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of celery stick, chopped.
- You need of Black pepper and the like.
- Prepare 2 tsp of olive oil or something similar.
Add the split peas and the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for an hour until the peas are tender. Purée with a hand-held blender, or blend in batches using a food processor. Remove meat from the ribs and discard the bones; add meat to the soup.
'Better than it looks' Split pea and ham soup instructions
- Soak your peas overnight or to packet instructions..
- Add oil to the pan and cook onion and celery until soft, add pepper..
- Add the stock and 'flavouring' to the pan along with the peas..
- Cook for an hour or less depending on how firm you like the peas. 1 hour should be broken down quite well. Be careful of sticking..
Add sliced ham or sausage and season to taste with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and salt. Mix in ham, bay leaf, and split peas. Pour in chicken stock and water. Tie the parsley and bay leaf together with kitchen string. Add the garlic and cook another minute.