Our Family's Recipe for Char Siu Pork. Great recipe for Our Family's Recipe for Char Siu Pork. I got fresh pork blocks, so I made char siu. I tied up each block with kitchen twine, but you can skip that.
For our gigantic Lunar New Year feast this year, my dad made char siu because it. For our family, we eat the char siu with rice and vegetables the first night and then use the leftovers as an ingredient for other foods such as Char Siu Baos, little steamed buns filled with the bbq pork. This char siu recipe is incredibly easy to make at home in your oven! You can cook Our Family's Recipe for Char Siu Pork using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Our Family's Recipe for Char Siu Pork
- You need of Pork butt (shoulder roast) block (or other cut you like).
- Prepare of Soy sauce.
- It’s of Sugar.
- You need of Sake.
- Prepare of the green part of 1 stalk Green onion or scallion.
- Prepare of to 3 slices Ginger.
- It’s of to 3 slices Garlic.
It's that simple and now you can have char siu at home! Transfer the pork to your preheated oven. If the bottom of the pan is dry, add another cup of water. Five spice – So many char siu recipes out there are just glazed pork.
Our Family's Recipe for Char Siu Pork step by step
- Brown the lumps of meat on all sides in a pan while fipping them..
- Put all the flavoring ingredients in another pan. Add the green onion, ginger, garlic and browned pork. Cover with a lid and simmer over high heat..
- When the lid starts clattering from the built up steam, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Flip the meat over and simmer for another 15 minutes..
- Take the lid off, simmer until there's only a little liquid left in the pan, and it's done..
But if you want a savory char siu, don't forget the five spice. White pepper – If you don't have white pepper, don't sweat it, but if you do, use it here. It's more fragrant, delicate, and floral. Pour the marinade into the bag with the pork, squeeze air from the bag and seal. Helen Graves' char siu pork recipe is comfort food at its very best.