Old fashioned apple cake. It has nice, crisp edges from the Bundt pan, and absorbs a rich caramel glaze as it cools. Old-Fashioned Apple Cake Everyone enjoys biting into this moist dark cake—they're greeted with an abundance of apples, nuts and chocolate chips! I hope you try this home-style dessert today.—Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas This old fashioned apple cake is one of my favorite family heirloom recipes.
This recipe is handed down from my grandmother's sister, Rose. Combine grated apples, sugars and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon. You can have Old fashioned apple cake using 18 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Old fashioned apple cake
- You need of For the cake:.
- Prepare of plain flour.
- It’s of caster sugar.
- It’s of bicarbonate of soda.
- Prepare of fine salt.
- You need of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of ground ginger.
- You need of ground or grated nutmeg.
- Prepare of large eggs.
- You need of butter, softened.
- You need of cooking Bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced.
- It’s of sultanas or raisins.
- It’s of For the frosting:.
- You need of butter.
- Prepare of brown sugar.
- It’s of fine salt.
- It’s of milk.
- It’s of vanilla extract.
Gradually add the flour mixed with the baking powder and salt, mixing well to combine. In my great-grandma's cookbook, this recipe was officially titled "Apple Pudding." I suspect that once upon a time, it was prepared like a traditional bread pudding. This maple, apple and pecan cake with apple sauce has a beautiful texture. This is an authentic old fashioned Irish apple cake, the kind that would be made throughout the apple harvest season all over Ireland, where every farmhouse has its own prized version of the recipe.
Old fashioned apple cake step by step
- Butter and flour or line with parchment a round 23cm (10in) springform cake tin..
- Place the diced apples and raisins in a large bowl and pour over the brown sugar. Let them sit for 30 minutes until they release some juice..
- Beat the other ingredients thoroughly together until smooth in another bowl..
- When the half an hour’s passed, add the cake mix to the apples and mix until combined..
- Transfer the batter to the tin and smooth the surface with a spatula..
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean..
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin..
- To make the frosting, melt the sugar and butter in a small pan until dissolved. Add the salt, pour in the milk and the vanilla extract and bring to the boil. Take it off the heat and beat the icing sugar into the mix until smooth..
- Spread on the cooled cake and let it set before removing the cake from the tin..
It's delicious with or without the traditional custard sauce! a classic apple cake filled with juicy apples and warm spices Old fashioned apple cake. It's tried, true and has withstood the tests of time. There's something delightful about baked apple desserts. It's classic American comfort food. old fashioned apple cake. Time for apples – and I'm having to buy them.