Crusty French Bread/Rolls. Read customer reviews & Find best sellers. French Bread Rolls are the PERFECT thing to serve with dinner. They're soft and fluffy on the inside, and crusty on the outside like a French baguette.
The crispest crusts come from baking on either a large pizza stone or a set of quarry tiles (unglazed terra cotta clay squares). I prefer quarry tiles since their darker color retains more heat, which helps to produce rolls with a really deep brown color. Crusty French Rolls Save time by letting your bread machine knead the dough for these hearty, chewy rolls with a wonderful golden crust. You can cook Crusty French Bread/Rolls using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Crusty French Bread/Rolls
- It’s 2 1/4 tsp of Yeast-active.
- Prepare 1 cup of water 110°.
- You need 2 tbsp of Sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of Vegetable Oil.
- Prepare 1 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- You need 2 1/2 cup of AP Flour.
- You need 1 each of Egg lightly beaten.
They're best eaten the day they're baked, or frozen for later. Crusty French rolls get their texture from a long rise in the refrigerator. Make them small to serve with dinner, or larger to hold a sandwich or burger. It's amazing how something so simple can be so delicious.
Crusty French Bread/Rolls instructions
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast, 1tsp sugar and cup of warm water. Let sit for about 10 min or until frothy..
- Add salt, rest of sugar and oil, mix well..
- Attach dough hook to mixer. Add flour in 1/2 cup interval, never letting the mixer run above it's low speed. Mix until dough comes off sides of bowl, about 6 minutes..
- Using a large mixing bowl, oil the sides of the bowl. Turn out dough on a lightly floured board. Kneed dough into a round ball, tucking it underneath..
- Transfer dough to oiled bowl, turn dough once then cover with damp towel. Let sit it warm place for 1 hour. (I preheat the oven on warm when yeast is started, then turn it off when i add the rest of the ingredients).
- After one hour punch down dough, reform ball, cover and let stand for one hour in warm place..
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough. Form into French loaf approximately 15" long or form rolls, small loves any shape you like..
- Transfer dough to baking sheet lined with parchment paper or over mat..
- Return to oven and let rise for 20 minutes..
- Remove dough from oven, set oven on 375°. Lightly brush egg on to of bread. Using a sharp instrument lightly cut slits on the diagonal every 1 1/2 inches..
- Bake for 25-30 or until lightly browned..
French bread consists of just four ingredients: flour, water, salt and yeast. Serve as a side for salad, soup, or alone with a delicious smathering of butter! Add the rest of the water and yeast and stir with a wooden spoon till evenly combined. This crusty bread roll recipe is truly a beautiful thing. I have tried a lot of recipes for crusty bread rolls but most require time-consuming or complicated pre-ferments, starters, or rising instructions.