Cracked Wheat Fried "Rice". Wash and drain the cracked wheat and dal together. Add oil and ghee and once hot, add the cumin seeds, black peppercorns and green chillies. Once the cumin starts to sizzle, add the washed and drained dal mixture, grated ginger and turmeric powder.
Combine the onion with the bulgur and remaining ingredients in a casserole. Boil the rice in two cups of water. Each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. You can have Cracked Wheat Fried "Rice" using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cracked Wheat Fried "Rice"
- You need 1 cup of cracked wheat.
- You need 2 cups of water.
- It’s 1 of small onion.
- Prepare 1 of carrot, peeled and chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of spinach, chopped (who adds spinach to fried rice, we do! Remember heathifying the recipe ;)).
- It’s 1/4 cup of corn.
- You need 1/2 cup of french beans, chopped.
- It’s 3-4 of scallions, chopped.
- It’s 2-3 of green chillies, chopped.
- You need 8-10 of soya nuggets, cut into small pieces.
- You need 8-10 of garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Schezwan paste.
- Prepare 1tsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1tsp of tomato sauce (optional).
- It’s To taste of salt.
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add all the vegetables except the spring onion greens. But the thing we all liked the most is cracked wheat. So instead of using white rice/basmati rice, I use cracked wheat for our daily meals.
Cracked Wheat Fried "Rice" instructions
- Rinse the cracked wheat a few times in cold water..
- Bring water and cracked wheat to a boil. Season with salt..
- Once the cracked wheat are fluffy and cooked thoroughly. Remove from heat, drain out the water completely and keep aside..
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the garlic, onion, green chillies and scallions and cook about 2 minutes. Then add carrot, spinach, corn, beans, soya nuggets and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add salt, Schezwan paste, soy sauce, tomato sauce and stir for a minute..
- Then add the boil cracked wheat into the pan and cook well..
- Garnish with remaining scallions and sesame seeds..
It goes very well with all the gravies/dals, in pulavs, pongals/khichdis etc. I remember few years ago, aayi mentioning she uses this to make a kind of congee(Pej). I never thought I would start using it so. Bulgur is high in fiber and protein and low in calorie and predominantly used in Mediterranean cuisine. It is available at specialty stores and large supermarkets.