Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe). Heat oil in a saucepan add the garlic and chilli powder and cook until garlic is browned. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan excluding the cornflour. The sugar and salt should be added slowly – taste the sauce to check the balance of sweet and sour and add more or less sugar and salt accordingly.
It's literally just a dump and mix job. Place cornstarch, water, cider vinegar, sugar, ketchup and soy sauce in a saucepan, then whisk and bring to heat and it will thicken in just a few minutes. And this is what you'll get – a beautiful glossy, shiny homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce. You can have Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe) using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe)
- It’s 1 liter of veg or chicken stock.
- It’s 1/3 cup of light soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of ketchup.
- You need 1 tbsp of cider viniger.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- It’s 5 of star anise.
- You need 1 tsp of minced garlic.
- You need 1 tsp of crushed ginger.
- You need 1/2 of shredded carrot.
- You need 2 tbsp of light soft brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dry chilli flakes.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of 5 spice.
- It’s 1 of small sweet pepper, sliced.
- It’s 1 of cornflour to thicken (optional, see steps).
Stir-fry for four minutes until very lightly coloured on all sides. Add the pineapple and sweet and sour sauce to the pan with the chicken and. From sweet and sour chicken to pork, try our delicious sweet and sour recipes that can be ready in less time than it takes for a delivery to arrive. Sweet and sour chicken by The Hairy Bikers Instructions Combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe) step by step
- Chuck all in a sauce pan one at a time stirring to the boil..
- Either reduce to consistency, or thicken with corn flour. (reducing gives stronger flavour).
- Remove star anise before serving..
- REMEMBER MY TITLE SAYS BASE!!, I normally play not weigh, so I've increased the amount I've made and tried to weigh as I went, make your own tweeks to suit your tastes. Pineapple goes well as an additional sweetener..
Bring JUST to a low boil, whisking the ingredients every few minutes so the sugar dissolves thoroughly. In a mug, make a slurry with the corn starch and water. Peel the onion and garlic and chop. Cut the peppers into strips, discard the seeds and membranes. Pour the pineapple juice from the can into a jug.