Turkish Menemen. Uber Eats is the easy way to get the food you love delivered. Browse Menus & Order From Local Restaurants. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
Add the tomatoes and sugar, mixing well. First prepared by Cretan Turks in Izmir along Turkey's Agean coastline, menemen derives its name from the specific district where it was first created. The main ingredients of menemen are simply tomatoes, peppers and eggs, so it's little wonder that it has survived from Ottoman times until today. You can have Turkish Menemen using 24 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Turkish Menemen
- Prepare of eggs.
- You need of fennel seeds.
- You need of cumin seeds.
- You need of mustard seeds.
- It’s of chilli flakes.
- You need of onion or 1 shallot sliced.
- It’s of grated ginger.
- You need of garlic clove finely chopped.
- It’s of red pepper diced.
- Prepare of vine tomatoes diced (mine are small).
- Prepare of (Optional depending on the sweetness of the tomato, 1 tsp of sugar).
- It’s of heaped tbsp of tomato puree.
- Prepare of water (depending on how liquid the tomatoes are).
- It’s of olive oil.
- Prepare of olive oil to serve.
- You need of flat leaved parsley chopped.
- It’s of yogurt.
- It’s of crushed salt.
- You need of Lemon juice.
- You need of Sea salt.
- Prepare of Black pepper.
- It’s of Soda bread or crusty bread.
- It’s of Butter (optional).
- It’s of free range eggs depending on how hungry you are.
Menemen is a simple yet gutsy dish of baked eggs. Allow your guests to spoon this straight from the pan, with warmed flatbreads for mopping and dipping. If you like, try it topped with fried chorizo morsels. Heat the oil in a large pan.
Turkish Menemen step by step
- Heat a small frying pan then throw in the oil, when it’s warm add the spices. (Fennel, cumin, mustard seeds and chilli flakes).
- Sauté them for a few minutes to allow them to release there aroma..
- Whilst it is sautéed chop up the tomato, pepper, onion, garlic & grate the ginger..
- Once the seed mixture has nicely heated through add the chopped up, ginger onion, garlic to the frying pan let them soften..
- Then add the tomato and pepper. Then water and tomato purée and give it a good stir..
- If your tomatoes are quite sour it’s time to add a tsp of sugar but make sure you taste it to see if it’s needed. Add salt and pepper..
- Whilst it is simmering, slice the bread and place in the toaster..
- When the sauce has thickened and all mixed together add the eggs. Leave to simmer on a low heat, it can help if you put on a lid if you have one..
- Whilst the eggs are cooking, make the sumac yogurt. Simply mix it together then chop up some parsley. Drizzle some olive oil over the egg mixture! It’s then ready to serve! Tuck in and enjoy 😊.
Turkish menemen is a popular breakfast dish usually served up in the centre of the table for a large family or group of friends to share. It is a one-pot dish of eggs, onions, tomatoes and spices. Menemen 'Menemen' is a delicious Turkish egg dish which can be considered as the easiest dish of the Turkish Cuisine. We love to eat this delicious 'Menemen' dish at breakfasts, at lunches and even at dinners. It may seem like an omelette to you from the photos, but I assure you that it is much more than an omelette.