Huevos Rancheros. Discover exclusive contents and get a digital free copy with Autorip "The Mexican name for this dish is 'huevos rancheros' – eggs with chillies, tomatoes and peppers in burritos. It's absolutely great if you've got a few mates round, and even better if you've got a hangover you're trying to shake off! To make the salsa, put the kale, onion, peppers, chilli, courgette, garlic and passata into a bowl.
Crack the egg into the pan and cook to your liking. Meanwhile, tip the beans into a bowl, season and add a squeeze of lime, then lightly mash with a fork. This popular Mexican dish is vegetarian food at its most hearty. You can cook Huevos Rancheros using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Huevos Rancheros
- You need of olive oil.
- You need 1 of onion, roughly chopped.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of red peppers, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 2 tsp of chipotle paste.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 handful of coriander, leaves and stalks roughly chopped separately.
- You need 2 of ripe tomatoes, diced.
- It’s 2 of x 400g (14oz) cans of chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- You need 50 g (2 oz) of Cheddar cheese, grated.
- It’s of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- You need of Street Taco tortilla wraps or crusty bread, toasted, to serve.
Stir in the fajita seasoning, then add the sugar, tomatoes and tomato purée. A classic Mexican breakfast, huevos rancheros (translated "ranch eggs") are fried eggs served on hot corn tortillas and smothered in cooked salsa. When you cut into them, the egg yolks mix in with everything—the salsa, tortillas. Peel and finely slice the garlic, pick and roughly chop the parsley leaves and finely chop the stalks, deseed and finely slice the peppers.
Huevos Rancheros step by step
- Heat a good slug of oil in a large pan (with a lid for later) on a low–medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, peppers, chipotle paste and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. You can also add the chopped coriander stalks. Fry the vegetables for about 15 minutes until starting to soften..
- Add the fresh and canned tomatoes, then stir in the sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. Mix together and cook for another 10 minutes, or until it is reducing down to a nice, rich sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning..
- Use a food processor to blend about three-quarters of the sauce until completely smooth. Return it to the pan and mix in..
- 4 Preheat the grill..
- Now, make four spaces in the sauce, evenly spaced out, with a wooden spoon. Crack each egg into its own space. Put the lid on and cook for about 4 minutes until the eggs are almost, but not completely, cooked. This is important. Take the pan off the heat while they’re still undercooked..
- Sprinkle with the cheese and flash under a hot grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish off the eggs in Huevos Rancheros..
- Finally, sprinkle with the coriander leaves and serve with warm tortillas or some nice crusty toasted bread in the final step of cooking Huevos Rancheros..
Drain and leave aside to cool. Huevos rancheros (or rancher's eggs) are a typical breakfast served at Mexican farms, featuring corn tortillas and fried eggs topped with plenty of warmed salsa. They're the answer any time I'm craving extra protein or a super hearty, quick meal. I can't resist them on a brunch menu, either. Add the tomatoes, sugar, and parsley, and bring to the boil.