taisen's green bean casserole. I mostly make this on holidays since my kids and husband don't eat this. other family members and myself love this. I mostly make this on holidays since my kids and husband don't eat this. other family members and myself love this. I mostly make this on holidays since my kids and husband don't eat this. other family members and myself love this. taisen's green bean casserole.
Just add a dash (or two) of black pepper to kick up the spice in this family. Scoop out the veg onto a plate. Fresh mushrooms, onion, and herbs with frozen green beans, sour cream, and cheddar cheese make this a delightfully tasty twist on the traditional casserole. You can cook taisen's green bean casserole using 14 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of taisen's green bean casserole
- It’s 1 packages of of frozen green beans or fresh if you prefer.
- It’s 2 of to 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup.
- Prepare 1 packages of of fresh mushrooms or canned.
- Prepare 1 packages of of bacon.
- You need 1 of onion.
- Prepare 1 of bacon bits if you like.
- Prepare 1 of butter. 1/2 to 1 stick for the green beans and about 1/2 to mix later.
- Prepare 1 of milk for the mixing part. just need enough to help make it creamy.
- You need 1 of salt to taste.
- Prepare 1 of pepper to taste.
- You need 1 of garlic powder to taste.
- Prepare 1 packages of of French onions for the topping or you can substitute with crackers or anything else.
- Prepare 1 of mozzarella cheese ( about 2 to 3 handfuls).
- Prepare 2 cup of of mild cheddar cheese.
I developed this recipe, longing for a 'no cans' version of the classic dish. I made this one year for my husband's family at Christmas time, and now they ask for it every year! Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large, deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
taisen's green bean casserole step by step
- take the frozen green beans and put them in a pot with some water, butter ( 1/2 to 1 stick) , bacon bits if desired and a few sprinkles of salt and pepper. cover the pot. put the heat on medium and bring to a boil. cook until you prefer soft or just slight crisp. if using fresh do as you normally do them. the bacon bits can be omitted.
- while the green beans are cooking fry up the bacon. you can do it crispy or softer depending on your taste. set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- slice or chop up onion and mushroom. fry the mushroom first in a little butter, garlic, salt and pepper. add onion around the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking the mushroom..
- pre heat oven to 350.
- when the green beans are finished drain them. put them into a casserole dish..
- add butter and milk to the green beans. stir. you only need enough to help the cream of mushroom soup to stick and be creamy. you can always do less and add more if needed to desired thickness.
- if there is any liquid in the mushroom and onion drain. add them into the green beans. stir.
- add the cream of mushroom soup. one can at a time stirring after each one. this is where you decide on how soupy this will be..
- add in bacon. you can break it up into small pieces or leave it in longer strips. mix or just lay strips on top.
- cover with foil and stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- pull it out. uncover sprinkle both cheeses. re cover and put it back in the oven for about 15 minutes..
- pull it out again. uncover add french onions on top and bake for just a few minutes..
- serve with dinner.
We love green bean casserole, but find this recipe just seems to use too much milk. I omit the soy sauce as I think this recipe is great without it and to cut down on the sodium. Microwave green beans according to package directions. Lightly grease a medium-sized skillet, and heat over medium heat. Combine mushroom mixture with green beans in a medium-sized bowl, and let cool.