Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning). Great recipe for Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning). Missing this chicken soup so much and decided to have a go for the first time ! It's really tasty chicken soup with turmeric spice that makes it yellow.
As I mentioned earlier, some cooks prefer to deep-fry the chicken, either before or after simmering. You may do so if you want an extra flavor, but I just keep it simple by simmering the chicken until tender and soft. Soto ayam is not your run of the mill bowl of noodle soup. You can have Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning) using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning)
- You need 1 pack of chicken thigh fillets.
- It’s of Oil to fry.
- Prepare of Lemongrass.
- You need of Galangal.
- Prepare of Ginger.
- Prepare leaves of Lime.
- It’s of Vermicelli noodles.
- You need of Eggs.
- You need of Spring onions.
- Prepare of Bean sprouts (optional).
- Prepare of Limes (optional).
- It’s of Paste spices.
- It’s 3 of big shallots or 6 small shallots.
- It’s 6 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare of Candlenuts (optional).
- Prepare Drops of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 2 of lime leaves.
- You need of Chili paste (sambal) optional.
- Prepare 2 of small shallots or 1/2 big shallot.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves.
- You need 4 of chillies.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of oil.
You can take a trip around the world on noodle soup. You could serve it as an appetizer. But it comes into its own as the star. A big bowl of hot noodles.
Indonesian Chicken Soup (Soto Ayam Bumbu Kuning) instructions
- Start blending the ingredients for paste spices (shallots, garlic cloves, turmeric powder, candlenuts, lime leaves and some oil). Use blender or food processor whichever easier. Pre heat a bit of oil and sauté the paste in a pan for about 15 minutes..
- In the meantime, bring to boil 1.5-2 litre of water in a big pot and throw in lemongrass, cut galangal, cut ginger, some lime leaves. When yellow paste is done, mix it in the pot to make the soup and put thigh fillets in. Skin on thighs actually tastes better but it’s your preference. Stir and add some salt, pepper and white sugar to your likeness..
- Let the chicken cooked under medium heat, take out when they’re done. It should turn yellowish like this ! Now, keep the soup boiled in a small heat for another 1/2 hour or more. The longer, the better!.
- Now, my not so much favourite step is to fry them. Pre heat oil in a pan and start frying just until it turns golden brown, so it takes less than 2 minutes. I used oil splatter cover to reduce the splash and make sure you lower the heat A LOT once oil is heated..
- Once it’s done, you can start shredding the chicken and also boil some eggs, vermicelli noodles, wash bean sprouts and cut some spring onions for toppings. Bean sprouts can be replaced by sliced cabbage or sliced tomatoes 🙂 Chilli paste needs to be sautéed in a small pan, it’s optional if you don’t want the soup spicy..
- Put your noodles, shredded chicken and all toppings in your bowl, pour yellow soup to finish. Selamat makan (Bon appetite) !.
Soto ayam, an Indonesian version of chicken soup, is a clear herbal broth brightened by fresh turmeric and herbs, with skinny rice noodles buried in the bowl. It is served with a boiled egg, fried shallots, celery leaves and herbs, and is hearty enough for a meal. Marion's Kitchen is packed with simple and delicious Asian recipes and food ideas. Did you remember about Indonesian yellow spice paste (bumbu dasar kuning) post? This recipe can use that short cut.