Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Find info on HelpWire.com for United States. Here we have everything you need. Results in United States Search for easy gumbo recipe chicken and sausage.
Stir in the smoked sausage and tasso. Return the mixture to a boil. Season with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning; blend thoroughly. You can cook Chicken and Sausage Gumbo using 26 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- It’s 500 g of smoked sausage (andouille, or kielbasa from the Polish shop works well).
- You need 4 of bone in, skin on chicken thighs.
- You need of Vegetable oil.
- You need 3/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare 2 of medium brown onions, diced.
- Prepare 2 of medium green bell peppers, diced.
- Prepare 5 of ribs of celery, diced.
- You need 2 litres of water.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need 3 of bay leaves.
- You need of Glug of Worcester sauce.
- You need 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning (see recipe below).
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare Pinch of smoked bittersweet paprika.
- It’s Bunch of spring onions.
- Prepare of Tabasco.
- It’s of Hot basmati rice.
- You need of Cajun seasoning.
- You need 3/4 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of onion powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1/4 tsp of white pepper.
Pour in the chicken broth and add the bay leaf. Put chicken pieces in a bowl. Blend salt, peppers, mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and file powder. Rub four teaspoons of the mixture over the chicken.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo instructions
- Cook sausage in a cast iron pot over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until browned. Drain on kitchen roll, reserving drippings in pan. Set sausage aside..
- Brown chicken in drippings in the same pan over medium heat for 5 minutes or so. Remove to kitchen roll, reserving drippings in the pan. Set chicken aside..
- Add enough oil to drippings in same pan to measure 1/2 cup. Add flour, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 20 to 30 minutes, or until roux is chocolate coloured. Be careful not to burn it! Starting again is heartbreaking 😫.
- Stir in onion, pepper, and celery; cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until tender. Stick your head in at this point for the best smell ever!.
- Gradually add 2 litres hot water. The mixtures seizes up at first because of the roux but will continue to loosen. Once all the water has been added, bring the mixture to a boil. Add chicken, garlic, bay leaves, Worcester, Creole seasoning, thyme and paprika..
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally for an hour. Remove chicken and let it cool..
- Add sausage back in and cook for a further 30 minutes..
- Stir in most of the sliced green onions and cook for a further 20 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the chicken off the bone and add back in the the gumbo with 5 minutes to go..
- Discard the bay leaves. Serve with rice, remaining green onions and a few good glugs of Tabasco on top..
Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.