French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Add the white wine, stirring the bottom of the pan to loosen all the browned onion.
Add the onion and fry over high heat for few minutes. Remove the lid, sprinkle in the sugar and some salt and pepper, and fry for a few minutes. Add the wine and boil for a few minutes, add the. You can have French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- It’s 6 of large and sweet onions.
- Prepare 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- Prepare 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- It’s 12 slices of baguette bread.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- It’s 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- Prepare 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. Toasting the flour cooks the starch and develops a nutty flavour, which will add another layer of flavour to your soup. Melt the butter and oil together in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup instructions
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
French Onion Soup There are few things more comforting than making a real French onion soup – slowly cooked, caramelised onions that turn mellow and sweet in a broth laced with white wine and Cognac. The whole thing is finished off with crunchy baked croutons of crusty bread topped with melted, toasted cheese. Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. French onion soup is a classic dish, loved for the simplicity of its ingredients – onions, stock, wine, a few herbs. But in order to create the perfect French onion soup recipe, there is another essential ingredient – patience.