Mama's Southern Potato Salad. Check Out Salad Potatoes on eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color today! Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders!
First, cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces and boil them in a pot of water. They make the best potato salad because they don't mush up." Peel and cut potatoes into cubes and place into a large serving bowl. Add salt, pepper, pimentos and pickles to the potatoes. You can have Mama's Southern Potato Salad using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mama's Southern Potato Salad
- Prepare 4-6 of Med to Large Russet potatoes or 8-10 Red potatoes (Using russets in the pictures).
- Prepare 4 of Large Eggs (or more if you like, my family does, so I use 6, at least).
- Prepare 1 of Med Sweet onion or 1 Bundle Green Onions (Optional) Using sweet onion for these pics.
- Prepare 1 1/2 c. of Mayonnaise (Maybe a little more or less to taste).
- Prepare 1/3 c. of Sweet Relish.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of (of each) Spicy, Honey Dijon, and Reg. Mustard.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of Creole Seasoning (More or Less depending on how you like your spice level!! You can buy at the grocery store but I also have a homemade recipe for it as well, on my page).
- Prepare 1/4 c. of Bacon Bits or 2-3 slices of bacon, fried and broken up.
- Prepare 2-3 of Roasted Garlic Cloves minced and chopped up (Easy, EASY recipe also available for Roasted Garlic on my page) or Couple tbsp Minced garlic, Garlic Salt or Powder will work too.
- Prepare To Taste of Salt and Pepper.
Peel and chop cooled eggs and add to the potatoes. In a separate bowl, combine mayo, mustard and pickle juice. This oil-free, plant-based, vegan, and gluten-free potato salad is creamy, tangy, mellow and savory. It's everything a delicious side dish should be, even though it's nutritious and hearty enough to enjoy as a main!
Mama's Southern Potato Salad instructions
- Get the potatoes in heavily salted water, begin to slowly boil, to be able to add eggs. Add eggs when boiling starts. Cover and let boil for another 10 – 15 min..
- While the boiling is going on, prepare the onions and precooked garlic (if that's what your using, this is the garlic in the pic) Chop or dice both very finely..
- This is the chopped onion..
- Once the boiling is finished. Drain the water off of the potatoes and eggs. Cool down easiest way possible…. for me I drain the hot water off and add cold water, then refrigerate while getting other ingredients together. If I'm in a hurry I do an ice bath, pull off the heat, drain, then add ice and cold, COLD water to it. Let it sit for a few min then begin the peeling process. This way the skins of the potatoes will peel straight off with your fingers, nothing else needed..
- Once potatoes are peeled, dice LARGELY!! Peel eggs and dice LARGELY, as well. When you mix everything it will come together great, so go BIGGER on cutting up the POTATOES N EGGS!! That's kinda the great thing about this recipe your cuts don't have to be perfect!! Go ahead and add garlic and seasoning (salt, pepper, creole, ect.) and stir it up!!.
- Last step!! Mix it all together!!! Add the mustard, mayo, relish!! The longer you can let it sit, and marinate, it makes it better. I usually make mine the night before and that's the way my family likes it!!.
Sometimes we roll this salad into a wrap along with some greens and take it with us for a delicious lunch! Southern Potato Salad, family gatherings are not the same without Mama's potato salad, cubed potatoes, chopped onions, chopped dill pickles, chopped boiled eggs, and mayonnaise with a little mustard. The secret to my Mom's potato salad is in how you cook the potatoes. She always said you have to cook them with a tablespoon of salt in the water. I think the Best Southern Cooks use Simple Ingredients.