Old Fashioned Sugar Cake. Your favourite restaurants and takeaways available on Deliveroo. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders!
If you're feeling nostalgic or just want some classic comfort food, bake up this Old Fashioned Sugar Cake. Baked in a cast iron skillet, this cake is as light as an angel food cake but has a really nice crumb to it. The cast iron skillet helps the cake bake evenly and give it a really pleasant golden crust around it. You can cook Old Fashioned Sugar Cake using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Old Fashioned Sugar Cake
- Prepare 1/2 cup of canola or vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 cup of milk (I use Almond unsweetened milk).
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 2 cups of plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar.
- Prepare 4 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 4 of large egg whites.
- You need of Confectioner's sugar for dusting.
- It’s of Caramel sauce made from Sweetened Condensed Milk (optional).
This simple cake is one that can be found across the entire southern United States, probably brought by immigrants from Eastern Europe. As the name suggests, old-fashioned sugar cake is a simple sweet, vanilla-scented cake similar to a pound cake but usually baked in a cast-iron skillet. With a handheld or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together your milk, shortening and vanilla for a few minutes. In a separate bowl, place your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, and mix these all together.
Old Fashioned Sugar Cake step by step
- Cream together shortening and milk for about 3 minutes, (it will look like small curd cottage cheese.) Add in vanilla..
- In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add flour, one third at a time to the milk mixture, blending well after each addition..
- Lastly, add in egg whites, beating just until all combined..
- Pour batter into a greased and floured (do not use a spray) 10 inch cast iron skillet..
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, using a toothpick inserted in the center to test for doneness. (last picture is with caramel sauce on top.).
Add flour about one third at a time, mixing until all is incorporated. Add to sugar mixture, mix and blend well with a spoon. Drop by spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet. Old Fashioned Sugar Cake – I love how simple this is and would go great with any flavor of ice cream! #sweet #bread #recipes #easy #dessert. Old Fashioned Sugar Cake; Creamy Lime Squares; Chocolate, Coconut & Pecan Earthquake Cake; No Bake Golden Oreo Lemon Dessert; The Perfect Cinnamon Roll Icing; Chocolate Banana Applesauce Cake; Pecan Praline Recipe; Chocolate Stout Cake; Apple Pie Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting; Grand Marnier Truffles ; Strawberry Lemonade Cookies; Pumpkin Gingerbread Protein Pancakes; Toffee.