Chicken Fajitas. Homemade Chicken Fajitas Making homemade fajita seasoning is a lot easier than you might think, and you probably already have the ingredients in your spice cabinet. Simply combine a mixture of chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, and voila, you're ready to make fajitas. Chicken Fajitas Tips What can I use instead of chicken?
They are a tad larger than chicken breast strips, so be sure to add enough time to cook them through. Swap out the chicken for steak, tofu and even portobello mushrooms. Trim chicken of any excess fat and place in a large, lidded bowl. You can have Chicken Fajitas using 17 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Fajitas
- You need 4 tablespoons of canola oil, divided.
- You need 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- It’s 1-1/2 teaspoons of seasoned salt.
- You need 1-1/2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- You need 1-1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of paprika.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- You need 1-1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips.
- It’s 1/2 of medium sweet red pepper, julienned.
- You need 1/2 of medium green pepper, julienned.
- It’s 1/2 of medium yellow pepper, julienned (optional).
- Prepare 4 of green onions, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped onion.
- Prepare 6 of flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed.
- You need of Optional: Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole, sliced red onions and sour cream.
Toss, adding more oil if necessary, until coated. Poke chicken with a knife to allow penetration of seasoning and oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then add to bowl and toss to coat. Add the chicken, bell pepper and onion, seal.
Chicken Fajitas instructions
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Turn to coat; cover. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours..
- While chicken is marinating, prepare and cut your peppers and onions..
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, sauté peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm..
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through..
- Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with desired toppings..
For a casual, fun get-together, set up a make-your-own-fajitas bar with the chicken filling, avocado cream, sour cream, and any other toppings you love, like pico de gallo, sliced fresh jalapeños, or crisp radish slices. Easy Chicken Fajitas are one of our all-time favorite dinners. Tender juicy chicken breasts, fresh crisp peppers, and sweet onions tossed in an easy homemade seasoning and piled high in tortillas. Top these easy fajitas with cheese, sour cream, lettuce, guacamole, and Pico de Gallo! We love fajitas at our house!