Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake. We Have Almost Everything on eBay. Great recipe for Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake. My wife and I took a virtual trip to Iceland for her birthday during the pandemic through food and a video visit to see the Aurora Borealis, and our dessert was a cheesecake-like blueberry treat made with Icelandic skyr yogurt and whipped.
The thick texture of skyr makes it perfect to hold the shape of this no-bake cheesecake. Be the first to review this recipe. Crush cookies to a medium coarse texture. You can cook Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake
- It’s 2 of pre-made graham cracker pie crusts.
- Prepare 16 oz of heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Prepare 3 of x 5.3 oz blueberry Icelandic style skyr yogurt (Siggi's).
- Prepare 1 pint of fresh blueberries.
- You need 2 of ripe bananas.
- Prepare 4 oz of chopped walnuts.
- Prepare 2 tbs of honey.
- Prepare 1 of small jar of blueberry preserves or fruit spread.
Skyr cake is a no-bake cake, served cold. The idea of skyr cake is, according to our very own decade-old research, probably maybe perhaps from the sixties. Back then it was baked like a cheesecake. Because skyr is technically fresh cheese!
Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use chopper or food processor to finely chop walnuts. Spread walnuts evenly over both graham cracker pie crusts..
- Heat pie crusts in oven for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and press walnuts lightly into crust. Pressing using parchment paper will help walnuts adhere to crust. Remove parchment when walnuts are pressed into crust..
- Slice bananas and place slices from one banana on top of walnuts on each pie crust. (1 banana per crust) Set crusts aside..
- Empty heavy cream or whipping cream into stand mixer. Turn mixer to medium high and thoroughly whip cream (about 3-4 minutes)..
- Empty 3 blueberry yogurts into mixer bowl with whipped cream. Using a spatula, gently fold the yogurt into the whipped cream, and mix well, but try to retain the fluff of the cream..
- Add 1-2 tbs of honey into cream mixture and mix well..
- Spoon half of cream mixture into each pie crust. Use spatula to level..
- Place half of fresh blueberries on top of cream mixture on each cake..
- Heat preserves/fruit spread in microwave until warm and easily spreadable, but not liquid. About 1 minute on medium high in microwave then longer at 20-second intervals until desired consistency..
- Spoon preserves/fruit spread over blueberries and cover most of the cream mixture on each cake..
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Each skyr cake makes 8 slices. Serve and enjoy!.
You didn't know that, did you? Don't worry we'll get to it someday later. Blueberry Cheesecake is where I'm starting. Nina explains the inspiration behind the healthy cheesecake actually began as a mug cake and an experiment with Skyr, an Icelandic, yoghurt-y product high in protein. Like with most creative trips, the end-result was nowhere near a mug cake.