Brown ale beef stew. Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Make the Stew Place the beef on a plate and sprinkle with the flour, salt, and pepper; toss until well coated.
This is a simple, rustic stew, when all you want is something warm, comforting and filling to get you through a cold winter night. Once all beef is coated, place all the beef in the saucepan with a little more oil to brown. Stir constantly until all the beef is browned off. You can cook Brown ale beef stew using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Brown ale beef stew
- It’s 900 g of beef blade.
- You need 1 of heap tbsp all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 3 of medium carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks.
- You need 3 of celery sticks, roughly chopped.
- It’s 250 g of white or brown mushrooms, quartered.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 bottle of Newcastle brown ale.
- Prepare 6 of thyme sprigs.
- You need 6 cups of beef stock.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 4 of medium waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths.
Once all the beef is browned, add the cooked onion back to the pan with the diced vegetables, stock and ale. Mix sachet contents with brown ale, water and tomato purée, and add to slow cooker pot. Add the beef in batches and brown all over, adding more oil if needed. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon and set.
Brown ale beef stew instructions
- Cut the beef into 2 cm chunks and trim any excess fat and silverskin. Do not throw away the trimmings. Season the beef with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour until coated..
- Add the trimmings to a large pot on medium-high heat. Let the fat render off, then discard the trimmings. Add the beef to the pot and sear for 3 to 5 minutes until evenly browned. Remove the beef to a plate..
- Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, and onion to the pot and let cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Pour in the ale and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Let simmer for 5 minutes..
- Return the beef and any juices to the pot. Add the thyme sprigs, stock, Worcestershire sauce, a good pinch of salt and several grinds of freshly cracked black pepper. Bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Let cook for 1 1/2 hours..
- Fish out the thyme sprigs and add the potatoes. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the beef and potatoes are tender. Add extra salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a small sprinkle of fresh thyme..
Trim the celery, wash the carrots, peel the onions, then roughly chop it all about the same size as your beef chunks, adding the veg to the pan as you go. Beef and Ale Stew – One of the Ultimate Comfort Foods. Beef and Ale Stew is great for casual weekend entertaining as you can make it Friday afternoon, cool, cover and store in the fridge. Then simply reheat it thoroughly to serve for Saturday supper or Sunday dinner. Beef and Ale Stew definitely qualifies as bowl food – the kind you eat with a spoon, sitting on the sofa on a cold evening.