Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. How to make Southwest Chicken Soup in the Slow Cooker: Combine onion, peppers, jalapenos, white beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, beer, and chicken stock in a slow cooker (<-my fave!), then add taco seasoning. Mix all the ingredients together and add the chicken breasts. Press them down so they are mostly covered.
Dice the sweet peppers and onion and place on top of the chicken. Drain and rise the pinto beans, black beans, and corn. It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. You can have Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- It’s 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- It’s 6 cups of water.
- It’s 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- It’s 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- You need 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- It’s 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- Prepare 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- Prepare 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- It’s 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- It’s of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
Instructions In slow cooker combine: chicken broth, chicken breasts, garlic, onion, tomatoes, green chilies, corn, shredded potatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe Variations vegetarian – substitute black or pinto beans for the chicken and vegetable broth (affiliate link) for the chicken broth veggie rich – add more veggies, carrots, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, lima beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with seasoning and toss to coat.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup instructions
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
When the time is up remove the cooked chicken onto a plate. Add in the black beans, corn and egg noodles and turn the heat up to high. Set your slow cooker to low. Tip in the onion, celery, carrots and leeks and nestle in the bunch of herbs. Sit the chicken on top of the veg and pour over the stock.