My Beef Stew. Cook beef stew in a slow cooker for really tender meat. With dumplings, mash or even chips, there are loads of easy beef stew recipes to whet your. For the beef stew, heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole and fry the beef until browned on all sides.
Do this in batches to not overcrowd the pan and to prevent steaming. Braising the Beef In Water Stew is basically meat braised in liquid, along with other ingredients—typically potatoes, carrots, onions, and possibly some sort of tomato. The tomato can be tomato paste, diced tomatoes, or even whole canned tomatoes that you break up with a spoon while it cooks. You can have My Beef Stew using 25 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of My Beef Stew
- You need 1-2 lb of beef stew meat.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 4-5 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- You need 3 of carrots peeled and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Prepare 2 of celery stalks, cut into bite sized pieces (optional).
- Prepare 1 lb of potatoes peeled cut into bite sized pieces.
- Prepare 3 cups of beef broth.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of tomato paste.
- You need 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of red cooking wine.
- Prepare 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of rosemary.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 cup of peas.
- It’s 2 tbsp of water.
- It’s 2 tbsp of cornstarch.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried parsley (garnish).
- It’s of I used a bag of mixed vegetables in this today.
- Prepare Dash of crushed red pepper.
But no one said that the main liquid should be water. While the meat is browning, get started on the stew. Heat about half a cup of olive oil in a large, wide pot or Dutch oven and cook the onions and fennel until soft and translucent. Add the carrots and stir to coat in the oil.
My Beef Stew instructions
- In a shallow dish mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Coat the pieces of in the flour..
- In a large stockpot add the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the meat pieces and brown on all sides (the meat will continue cooking in the stew). Once the meat is brown remove it to a plate and set aside. Cook in batches to not crowd the pan..
- If you need to add additional butter or olive oil you can add more to saute the vegetables. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery into the pot and cook until the vegetables start to caramelize or get slightly soft..
- Add in the beef broth, tomato paste, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, red cooking wine, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary..
- Add the beef pieces back into the pot..
- Bring the stew to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it starts to boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for one hour to 90 minutes or until the beef is tender..
- Mix the cornstarch and water together and slowly stir into the beef stew to thicken the sauce. Cook for 10-15 minutes with the lid off stirring occasionally as it thickens..
- Remove the bay leaf..
- Add the peas to the stew the last 5-10 minutes while it is thickening and before serving so they don’t get mushy..
- Garnish with parsley and Enjoy!.
Oh and thanks – will try chilli, I can't bear ginger in savoury foods (odd I know) OP's posts: See next Yes, it is possible to overcook a beef stew. As much as we like the idea of a stew that sits on the stove all day long, too much time will result in dry beef and mushy veggies. Instructions Add the beef and flour to a bowl and mix well. Heat the oil in a frying pan or in the pot of the slow cooker if you have one that can be used on the hob.