Spinach rice (aka Greek spanakorizo). Spanakorizo is a classic Greek vegetarian dish made with spinach and rice. It is probably one of the healthiest traditional Greek recipes because it's packed with lots of spinach, onions, fresh herbs, and lemon. While a basic Spanakorizo recipe contains only spinach, onion, and dill, there are many variations of this dish.
Mix and squeeze well with your hands in order to remove the water from the spinach. Spanakorizo (which is translated as spinach and rice) is a classic Greek vegetarian dish which can be served as a side dish or can easily stand on it's own with some feta cheese and bread. The two most popular variations are the 'white' spanakorizo and the 'red' spanakorizo, which contains nothing else than chopped tomatoes. You can have Spinach rice (aka Greek spanakorizo) using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spinach rice (aka Greek spanakorizo)
- Prepare 1 kg of washed, cleaned spinach chopped (if you use baby spinach no need to cut it). You can also use frozen spinach instead of fresh.
- It’s 1 of medium onion finely chopped.
- You need 5-6 of spring onions finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of leak finely chopped.
- Prepare Half of tea cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of small cup pudding rice (single espresso cup).
- It’s 2-3 of ripe tomatoes chopped (or canned chopped tomatoes-half can).
- Prepare 30 gr of parlsey chopped.
- You need 60 gr of dill finely chopped.
- You need of Juice from fresh lemons for serving.
Spanakorizo, Greek Spinach Rice Spanakorizo, or spinach rice, is one of the great, classic, simple vegetarian dishes of the Greek table. It can be totally vegan, or it can be served with feta or greek yogurt as well as a sunnyside up egg. Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) is an easy side dish or hearty main. Rice is cooked with fresh spinach, onion, dill, lemon and tomato to create a delicious pilaf that's a traditional recipe from Greece.
Spinach rice (aka Greek spanakorizo) instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and fry the onions and the leak until lightly coloured (for abt 4 mins)..
- Add the spinach in the pan, turn it so it’s coated with the oil and mixed with the rest. After 2-3 mins the spinach will lose its volume. Then, add the tomatoes and the rice and stir it to be mixed with the rest. Add a cup of water and season with salt and pepper and let it be cooked for a few mins..
- Towards the end of the cooking (it needs rougly 20-30 mins), add the parsley and the dill..
- For serving, squeeze lemon on top of the food (I like to add the juice of half lemon per portion-besides, Vit C also helps absorbing the iron from the spinach)..
- Lastly, if you are not vegan, eat the spinach rice along with a good piece of Feta cheese and some toasted bread. Bonne appetit!.
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) is a traditional dish from Greece. Spanakorizo is the traditional Greek version of spinach rice. This simple recipe has three main features that make it a perfect choice to detox your body without renouncing to the taste: it's vegan, it's rich in vegetables, and it's delicious! Spinach is full of antioxidants, iron, and fiber. The rice is a great source of carbohydrates to provide energy.